« Older: Third Annual Daniel Greer Memorial Youth Waterfowl Hunt set for Cheatham County February 9th Newer: Austin Peay Lady Govs Basketball travels to Jacksonville State Gamecocks, Monday »
Martha White® Announces Call for Entries for the 17th Annual National Cornbread Cook-Off for a Chance to Win $5,000
Nashville, TN – Warm up your skillets! In honor of their commitment to preserve the celebration of all Southern food, Martha White® and Lodge® Cast Iron are once again searching the nation for the best original main dish cornbread recipes in the 17th Annual National Cornbread Cook-Off.
Now through February 28th, 2013, fans can submit an original main dish recipe prepared with at least one package of Martha White Cornbread Mix and cooked in Lodge® Cast Iron cookware. Ten finalists will be selected to compete during the National Cornbread Festival® and the Grand Prize Winner will receive a $5,000 cash prize.“Over the last 16 years, thousands of entries have shown us a variety of cooking styles providing endless cornbread possibilities,” said the Martha White baking expert, Linda Carman. “Our cornbread mixes are so versatile; just look at how many recipes can be created, simply by using cornbread!”
From Southwestern cornbread wedges and tomato pies to Buffalo salads and rustic soups, National Cornbread Cook-Off winning recipes help create special family moments any day of the week.
Check out past winning recipes at MarthaWhite.com/recipes .
For complete details, Official Rules and to complete the entry form for the contest, visit MarthaWhite.com. The Martha White/Lodge® Cast Iron National Cornbread Cook-Off is open to legal residents of the 50 United States and D.C., age 18 years or older. Void where prohibited.
About the Contest
Ten finalists will be selected to prepare their original creations for judging by a panel of food experts during the National Cornbread Festival® on April 27th, 2013, in South Pittsburg, Tennessee.
Along with the cast iron skillet crown, the Cook-Off champion will receive a $5,000 cash prize and a 30-inch stainless steel gas range (a $3,250 value) from FiveStar® Professional Cooking Equipment, a division of Brown Stove Works, Inc., and special gifts from Martha White and Lodge® Cast Iron.
The second prize winner will receive $1,500, and the third prize winner will receive $1,000. The remaining seven finalists will walk away with $150.00. All finalists will receive a $500.00 travel reimbursement and a gift basket courtesy of Martha White and Lodge® Cast Iron.
Buffalo Chicken Cornbread with Blue Cheese Salad
1. Heat oven to 400°F. Spray 10 1/2-inch Lodge® cast iron skillet with no-stick cooking spray. Stir egg, milk and oil together. Add cornbread mix, cheddar cheese, 1/2 cup blue cheese, diced hot wings, red pepper flakes and 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro. Stir until well blended. Pour mixture into prepared skillet, spreading evenly. Bake 20 to 30 minutes until golden brown. Remove from oven. Cool.
2. Combine lettuce, celery, red onion and 1/2 cup blue cheese crumbles. Toss with blue cheese dressing. Cut cornbread into 8 wedges. Top each wedge with an even amount of salad. Garnish with diced tomatoes and cilantro.
Makes 8 servings
For Ranch-Style Version: Omit blue cheese from cornbread and salad; substitute ranch dressing for blue cheese dressing.
Black Olive Cornbread Wedges with Chorizo Tomato Gravy
Crisco® Original No-Stick Cooking Spray
1. Heat oven to 400° F. Spray 9-inch Lodge® cast iron wedge pan* generously with no-stick cooking spray. Place in oven 6 to 7 minutes or until hot. Beat egg in large bowl. Add buttermilk, cornbread mix, 2 tablespoons melted butter, corn and olives. Mix thoroughly. Pour evenly into wedges in hot pan. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from oven and keep warm.
2. Melt 2 tablespoons butter in 10-inch Lodge® cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook until translucent, about 3 to 4 minutes. Crumble chorizo in skillet. Cook 4 to 5 minutes, or until brown. Remove mixture to small bowl. Set aside. Wipe out skillet with paper towel.
3. Return skillet to medium heat. Melt 3 tablespoons butter. Add flour. Whisk until mixture is golden. Add milk, tomatoes and paprika. Whisk about 3 minutes, or until thickened. Add chorizo mixture to gravy.
4. To Serve, place a wedge of cornbread on each plate, top with 1/2 cup of chorizo tomato gravy. Garnish with green onion, avocado, tortilla chips, chopped tomatoes and/or a squeeze of lime juice.
Makes 8 servings
*Cornbread may be baked in 10-inch cast iron skillet sprayed with no-stick cooking spray. Bake 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden brown. Cut into wedges.
Sweet Yellow Cornbread
Sweet Yellow Cornbread, Sausage & Tomato Pie with a Garlic Cream Drizzle
Garlic Cream Drizzle
Fresh basil, cut into thin strips and shaved Parmesan cheese for garnish
1. Heat oven to 375°F. Brown sausage over medium heat in 10-inch Lodge® cast iron skillet, breaking up meat with wooden spoon. Drain on paper towels. Add 2 tablespoons olive oil to pan along with tomatoes, onions, sugar and 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning. Cook, stirring occasionally, until tomatoes and onions begin to caramelize, about 8 minutes. Spread tomato mixture evenly over bottom of pan. Spoon sausage evenly over top.
2. Stir together cornbread mix, 1/4 cup grated parmesan, 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning, milk, sour cream, eggs and 4 tablespoons olive oil until smooth. Pour over hot mixture in skillet. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand 5 minutes before inverting onto serving plate. If any tomatoes or onions stick to bottom of pan, replace on cornbread.
3. Stir together 1/4 cup heavy cream, corn meal, garlic and basil leaves in 1 cup microwave safe measuring cup or bowl. Heat on HIGH in microwave for 45 to 60 seconds or until mixture boils. Discard garlic and basil. Whisk sour cream, 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper in small bowl. Add to cream mixture. Add 1 to 2 tablespoons cream if needed to make it a drizzle consistency. Sprinkle cornbread with shaved Parmesan cheese and strips of basil. Serve with Garlic Cream Drizzle.
Makes 8 servings
Tennessee Onion Soup Gratin
1. Heat Lodge® 5-quart Dutch oven over medium heat. Cook bacon until crisp. Remove with slotted spoon to paper towels to drain. Add onions and sugar to bacon drippings. Cook, stirring frequently, until onions are caramelized, about 20 minutes. Add chard, white beans, bacon, vinegar and red pepper. Add beef stock and water. Bring to a low simmer over high heat. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 20 minutes. Add salt and pepper.
2. Heat oven to 400° F. Mix together cornbread mix, egg, butter and milk until blended. Fold in cheese cubes. Spoon over simmering soup. Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown. Serve with metal spoon, breaking through cheese crust and scooping soup and cornbread into deep bowls.
Makes 8 servings
Crisco is a trademark of The J.M. Smucker Company.
SectionsArts and Leisure
TopicsCornbread, Crisco, J.M. Smucker Company, Linda Carman, Martha White, Martha White National Cornbread Cook-Off, Nashville TN, National Cornbread Cook-Off, recipe, recipes, South Pittsburg TN
© 2006-2010 Clarksville, TN Online is owned and operated by residents of Clarksville Tennessee.