Clarksville, TN - Clarksville Fire Rescue was busy this weekend with two house fires, one that’s been deemed “suspicious” by Fire Marshal Ray Williams.
Saturday, a call came in from residents at 916 Lucas Lane, reporting a fire in the kitchen. Clarksville Fire Rescue stations #1 and #4 responded within six minutes and had the fire under control within five minutes of their arrival. The cause of the fire was grease that had caught on fire in the kitchen.
One woman and a child escaped the house, and there were no injuries reported. Williams estimates that there was over $25,000 worth of damage done to the home. Willliams says these types of fires are common. «Read the rest of this article»
Volunteers Assisting Family Members with Emergency Needs
Clarksville, TN – Local Red Cross Disaster Action Team members responded to a deadly house fire located on Devers Road in Southern Montgomery County Monday, June 3rd.
Red Cross is assisting the family with food, shelter and emotional support after their loss. They also provided coffee, snacks, water to emergency responders on the scene. «Read the rest of this article»
Nashville, TN – As the school year comes to a close, many Tennesseans are turning their attention to family vacation plans. The State Fire Marshal’s Office asks that you remember to incorporate fire safety into travel plans before hitting the road for your summer retreat.
“Hotels and motels become a home away from home for travelers, so it is important to become familiar with new surroundings and to have a plan in place should an emergency arise,” says State Fire Marshal and Commerce & Insurance Commissioner Julie Mix McPeak.
Being mindful of the following safety points will help ensure that your upcoming vacation is as safe as it is fun! «Read the rest of this article»
Nashville, TN – According to the Tennessee Fire Incident Reporting System (TFIRS), 14 percent of the state’s fire deaths last year resulted from fires caused by smoking, which made smoking the leading cause of the state’s fire fatalities in 2012.
“Putting out a cigarette or other smoking material the right way only takes seconds,” State Fire Marshal and Commerce & Insurance Commissioner Julie Mix McPeak says. “Those seconds can mean the difference between a fire-safe home and a home devastated by a tragic fire.”
Change your clocks and smoke alarm batteries
Nashville, TN - With the loss of 11 lives to residential structure fires since February 28th, the Tennessee State Fire Marshal’s Office is encouraging all Tennesseans to change their smoke alarm batteries when they change their clocks Saturday night for daylight saving time.
“Alarms, even those that are hard-wired, should have their batteries replaced regularly and should be tested monthly to ensure they’re providing the proper protection,” State Fire Marshal and Commerce & Insurance Commissioner Julie Mix McPeak says.
Clarksville, TN – Clarksville Police Chief Al Ansley presented Officer Seth Paugh with a Lifesaver Award, Friday, for his actions at a structure fire at 306 Blaine Court.
On February 5th, 2013, Officer Paugh arrived at a structure fire and could see the interior of the residence was consumed in smoke. Officer Paugh questioned a neighbor about a vehicle located in the residence’s driveway.
Nashville, TN – Every day, Americans experience the tragedy of a residential fire. According to the U.S. Fire Administration, more than 3,500 Americans die and approximately 18,300 are injured annually in fires. One of the primary causes of residential fire deaths and injuries for children under 10 is playing with a heat source, which includes lighters and matches.
“We urge parents to teach children at an early age about the dangers of playing with fire, to prevent child injuries, fire deaths and fire-setting behavior,” State Fire Marshal and Commerce & Insurance Commissioner Julie Mix McPeak says. “If your child expresses curiosity about fire or has been playing with fire, calmly but firmly explain the dangers and that matches and lighters are tools for adults only.” «Read the rest of this article»
Clarksville, TN – Wednesday morning, around 9:45am at the EMS Station 23 across the street from the Hilltop Market at 385 Highway 149, a member of the on duty EMS crew smelled smoke, and when checking for the source found the garage where their ambulance was parked engulfed in flames.
As one of the crew responded to the fire, the other called for support from area Fire Departments; units from Clarksville Fire Rescue, Cunningham Volunteer Fire Department, East Montgomery Volunteer Fire Department, Palmyra Volunteer Fire Department, and the Woodlawn Volunteer Fire Department responded to help fight the flames which were under control within 20 minutes of the initial call being placed.
Videos show hazards posed by the holiday fixture if left to dry out
Nashville, TN – The Tennessee State Fire Marshal’s Office is reminding Tennesseans with natural, fresh-cut Christmas trees in their homes to take care to keep them in water, because of the fire risk posed when they are allowed to dry out.
“The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) reports that there is an estimated annual average of 230 home structure fires that begin with Christmas trees,” State Fire Marshal and Commerce & Insurance Commissioner Julie Mix McPeak says. “Properly maintaining a cut Christmas tree’s moisture content of more than 100 percent by keeping it in water significantly reduces the chance that its needles will dry out and pose a fire hazard.”
Clarksville, TN – On Thursday December 20th, at 1:31pm, Clarksville Fire Rescue and Clarksville Police responded to a smoke alarm call at The Bluffs apartment complex located at 939 Riverside Drive.
“When units first arrived on the scene, there was no visible sign of smoke or a fire,” stated Fire Marshal Ray Williams. “Upon further investigation, some smoke was seen coming out of apartment C-19.”
Now playing at the Movies
Showtime information provided by Discover Clarksville.
© 2006-2010 Clarksville, TN Online is owned and operated by residents of Clarksville Tennessee.