Nashville, TN – The presence of portable, medical oxygen in the home has grown over the past decade, and so has the need for education about the fire hazards associated with its use. Medical oxygen adds a higher percentage of oxygen to the air a patient uses to breathe. Fire needs oxygen to burn. If a fire should start in an oxygen-enriched area, the material burning will burn more quickly.
“When more oxygen is present, any fire that starts will burn hotter and faster than usual,” Tennessee State Fire Marshal Julie Mix McPeak says. “It is crucial to follow safety precautions when medical oxygen is in use in a home.” «Read the rest of this article»
Clarksville, TN – On August 9th, 2012, around 6:15am, Emergency personnel responded to a tanker fire in the area of Wilma Rudolph Boulevard and Center Pointe Road.
The empty liquid nitrogen tanker caught on fire and was quickly extinguished by Clarksville Fire Rescue. There was no damage to the tractor or injury to the driver. The reason for the fire is still under investigation, but initial responders believed the braking system may have been a contributing factor.
Wilma Rudolph Boulevard was closed for approximately one hour.
Clarksville, TN – As the line of storms moved through Clarksville yesterday evening most people were hunkered down safely in their homes waiting for it to pass. However for Jeff and Kathy Sayle and their children, it was soon going to turn into a very scary moment.
They were gathered together on the ground floor of their home at 299 Ellsworth Court, when around 9:15pm when they heard a bolt of lighting hit. “Boom! It shook the house” said Jeff Sayle. “We didn’t know that our home had actually gotten struck by the lightning, we just thought it was close. Five minutes later my wife went up stairs to the attic, when she opened the door smoke came billowing out.” She alerted the family and they evacuated the already doomed structure.
Montgomery County, TN – Montgomery County, along with State officials are urging citizens to take fire precautions for the 4th of July holiday. At this time, there is no legal process for a county-wide ban of fireworks, so we ask citizens to voluntarily not use fireworks in the county due to the dry conditions.
Montgomery County Mayor Carolyn Bowers states, “We are extremely concerned about the potential for fires given the dry conditions and low humidity. We ask that you resist individual firework use and instead opt for professional shows that are supported by emergency workers. These weather conditions are not to be taken lightly.” «Read the rest of this article»
Washington, D.C. – As consumers get ready to fire up their grills this Memorial Day weekend, the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) is releasing safety tips for consumers to follow when using gas or charcoal grills.
Please keep these safety tips in mind for the holiday weekend and anytime using outdoor grills.
Montgomery County, TN – There was a small fire in an English classroom at Kenwood High School around 11:00am today. The fire was extinguished but all students were evacuated and the Clarksville Fire Department did respond. No one was injured.
The fire department gave the ok for students to go into the gym. «Read the rest of this article»
Video shows hazard posed by the holiday fixture if left to dry out
Nashville, TN – The Tennessee Fire Marshal’s Office is reminding Tennesseans with natural, fresh-cut Christmas trees in their homes to take care to keep them in water, because of the fire risk posed when they are allowed to dry out.
“The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) reports that there is an estimated annual average of 240 home structure fires that begin with Christmas trees,” State Fire Marshal and Commerce and Insurance Commissioner Julie Mix McPeak says. “Properly maintaining a cut Christmas tree’s moisture content of more than 100 percent by keeping it in water significantly reduces the chance that its needles will dry out and pose a fire hazard.”
Clarksville, TN – On December 20th, 2011, around 12:18am, Emergency personnel responded to an explosion at 205 Lexington Drive where a man was outside screaming for help.
When officers arrived on scene they found a man outside with burns to face and upper body. The glass was blown out of the windows of apartment D and the siding had separated from the building. There was also fire inside of apartment D.
Emmitsburg, MD – Every holiday season, fires claim the lives of over 400 people, injure 1,650 more and cause over $990 million in damage. You can keep your family safe by using nonflammable decorations, not overloading electrical sockets, and avoiding the use of lit candles. If you have a live Christmas tree, water it regularly. Dry trees could catch on fire and rapidly fill your room with deadly gases
According to the United States Fire Administration (USFA), there are simple life-saving steps you can take to ensure a safe and happy holiday. By following some of the outlined precautionary tips, individuals can greatly reduce their chances of becoming a holiday fire casualty.
Clarksville, TN – Through the month of December, Clarksville Fire Rescue will offer free home screenings for city residents. These fire safety screenings will include a check of all safety equipment like smoke detectors and other alarms, making sure each family has an escape plan if a fire occurs and a general inspection for fire hazards in the home.
“This is the first time Clarksville Fire Rescue has offered this service and we’re very excited about the program,” said Clarksville Fire Marshal Ray Williams. “Most fire related deaths happen between December and February each year and most fatalities involve people over 65 and children 5 years old or younger. This program will save lives by helping Clarksville’s families be prepared.” «Read the rest of this article»
Now playing at the Movies
Showtime information provided by Discover Clarksville.
© 2006-2010 Clarksville, TN Online is owned and operated by residents of Clarksville Tennessee.