Topic: House fire
Clarksville, TN – Clarksville District One patrol officers and Clarksville Fire/Rescue units responded to a house fire on Brook Mead Drive at 6:08pm, Saturday, February 13th, 2016.
Officers determined that nobody was inside the residence and that a relative of the homeowner had already rescued all of the pets before the first officer arrive at 6:11pm.
Nashville, TN – For the second consecutive year, Tennessee fire deaths decreased to a new state-record low while the number of lives saved by smoke alarms installed by the state’s fire departments continues to climb.
The Tennessee State Fire Marshal’s Office (SFMO) announces today that fewer unintentional structure fire fatalities occurred in 2015 than in any year in recorded Tennessee history, including a milestone year achieved last year.
Seventy-two (72) people died in accidental home fires across the state in 2015 — down from 76 fatalities in 2014. Both years were record-breaking improvements compared to 2013’s fire fatality total of 100.
Nashville, TN – The winter holiday season should be a joyous time of year. However, certain types of fires and injuries associated with decorating are all too common and can put a damper on holiday celebrations.
“December is the peak month for home candle fires,” Tennessee Department of Commerce and Insurance Commissioner and State Fire Marshal Julie Mix McPeak said. “Two out of five home decoration fires are started by candles. To decrease your risk for a home fire, keep safety in mind as you deck the halls this season.”
It May be Warm Now, but Don’t Leave Winter Preparations off Your Holiday List
Nashville, TN – With gifts, holiday treats and décor, the holiday season is a favorite time of year for many. But, according to a new Holiday Home Hazards poll by Allstate, holiday planning can also create some unexpected hazards.
Despite this years’ unseasonably warm weather, it is important that Tennesseans don’t put off preparing their homes for upcoming colder temperatures.
Nashville, TN – The Tennessee State Fire Marshal’s Office is reminding Tennesseans to keep safe and warm as colder weather becomes more common across the state. Residents are urged to use extra caution with the use of alternate heat sources.
“The arrival of colder weather means many people will begin to heat their homes with fireplaces, woodstoves, and space heaters,” said Tennessee Department of Commerce & Insurance Commissioner and State Fire Marshal Julie Mix McPeak. “The drop in temperature traditionally brings a rise in fire deaths and injuries due to the use of these alternate heat sources.”
Nashville, TN – Each year, college and university students living both on- and off-campus experience fire-related emergencies nationwide.
Since January 2000 through June 2015, there have been 170 college/university fire fatalities across the U.S. with a majority of those fire deaths occurring in off-campus housing, according to information compiled by Campus Firewatch.
Those off-campus housing fire deaths had common factors including a lack of automatic fire sprinklers, missing or disabled smoke alarms, careless smoking habits, and the misuse of alcohol — which impairs judgment and hampers evacuation efforts. «Read the rest of this article»
Clarksville, TN – On Tuesday morning, July 7th, 2015 at approximately 4:15am emergency personnel from the Clarksville Police Department, Clarksville Fire Rescue, and Montgomery County EMS responded to the 400 Block of Shelby Street to a reported house fire.
When they arrived, heavy smoke and flames could be seen coming from the residence. Despite the efforts of emergency personnel, two children ages 9 and 11 died as a result of the fire.
Clarksville, TN – In only 60 seconds fire can engulf your home.
Think about it. You have one minute between safety and disaster in case of a major home fire.
Do your children know what to do? Do you have a plan for getting out? Is there a fire escape ladder in your child’s bedroom or your bedroom if they are on the second, third or fourth floor of your home? Do you have a fire extinguisher beside your kitchen stove? Have your children learned to “stop, drop and roll” in case their clothes catch on fire? Do you have smoke alarms throughout your home? Are the batteries working in your smoke alarms? Do your children know how to call 911 in case of fire or other real emergency? «Read the rest of this article»
Nashville, TN – The State Fire Marshal’s Office reminds Tennesseans to also change the batteries in their smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors.
Oftentimes, homeowners don’t know how old their smoke alarms are, or if they’re still functioning properly. That lack of awareness can have deadly consequences: Nearly two-thirds of all home fire deaths result from fires in homes with no smoke alarms or no working smoke alarms.
“Alarms, even those that are hard-wired, should have their batteries replaced regularly and should be tested monthly to ensure they are providing the proper protection,” said Tennessee Commerce and Insurance Commissioner Julie Mix McPeak. “Any smoke alarm that is 10 years old or older should be replaced entirely.” «Read the rest of this article»
Nashville, TN – As Tennesseans spend even more time indoors during February’s winter weather emergency, the State Fire Marshal’s Office reminds residents to take extra care while inside, especially in the kitchen.
Cooking is currently the leading cause of home fires and fire deaths in Tennessee. From 2009-2013, 9,595 residential cooking fires were reported in the state, resulting in 33 deaths, 118 injuries and $41.7 million in property damage. «Read the rest of this article»
Now playing at the Movies
Showtime information provided by Discover Clarksville.
© 2006-2016 Clarksville, TN Online is owned and operated by residents of Clarksville Tennessee.