Topic: Smoke Alarm
Nashville, TN – With Halloween fast approaching, the State Fire Marshal’s Office (SFMO) wants to remind Tennesseans to take simple safety precautions to keep this year’s Halloween festivities both fun and fire-free.
“Halloween can be an exciting time for kids and adults alike, but Tennessee revelers should pay close attention to hazards posed by candles, decorations, and costumes,” said State Fire Marshal and Commerce & Insurance Commissioner Julie Mix McPeak.
Tennessee State Fire Marshal’s Office says Cooking Remains Leading Cause of Home Fires for Fifth Straight Year
Nashville, TN – The State Fire Marshal’s Office (SFMO) urges Tennesseans to be mindful in the kitchen as fire data shows cooking to be the leading known cause of reported home fires, civilian injuries, and property loss in Tennessee for the fifth consecutive year.
Twenty-nine percent of reported Tennessee home structure fires in 2015 involved cooking equipment. Those 2,077 fires resulted in seven fatalities, 44 civilian injuries, and over $11 million of direct property damage according to the Tennessee Fire Incident Reporting System.
Nashville, TN – The Tennessee State Fire Marshal’s Office (SFMO) proudly announces that five fire departments who accepted the SFMO’s most recent “100 for 100” smoke alarm installation challenge installed 503 alarms during the July 30th event, bringing the total number of alarms installed as part of the initiative to 4,037.
Created to commemorate the SFMO’s 100th anniversary, the “100 for 100” challenge is a fun way for Tennessee fire departments to test their limits while providing crucial alert devices and safety education to the citizens of their local communities.
Nashville, TN – Young firesetters cause hundreds of deaths and injuries each year according to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA). Preschoolers and kindergartners are most likely to start these fires, typically by playing with matches and lighters, and are most likely to die in them.
The State Fire Marshal’s Office warns Tennesseans of the risk associated with children and fire-starting items, especially novelty lighters.
Novelty lighters resembling children’s toys can attract curious kids who may see these items as fun, but may not recognize them as potential fire hazards. While Tennessee banned the sale of novelty lighters in 2008, these products still represent a potential threat to lives and property.
Nashville, TN – As the summer season winds down, college students begin preparations for the fall semester. While some will be first-time students moving into residence halls, many will be moving off-campus and living on their own for the first time.
The Tennessee State Fire Marshal’s Office (SFMO) urges students and their parents to choose fire-safe off-campus housing and discuss fire safety practices in order to prevent potentially life-threatening situations.
From January 2000 to May 2015, there were 85 fatal fires in U.S. dormitories, fraternities, sororities and off-campus housing, resulting in 118 fatalities.
Nashville, TN – For many Tennesseans, pets provide comfort, friendship, and unconditional love. Unfortunately, a pet can not only be the victim of a home fire, but the unintentional cause of it as well. The Tennessee State Fire Marshal’s Office wants to educate pet owners on important precautions to keep pets, people, and property safe from fire.
“We remind Tennesseans that fire safety is a key component of responsible pet ownership,” said State Fire Marshal and Commerce & Insurance Commissioner Julie Mix McPeak. “Simple preventative measures can and should be implemented to protect pets from the devastating effects of fire.”
Nashville, TN – The Tennessee State Fire Marshal’s Office is urging parents to teach children the importance of fire safety at an early age to prevent the devastation that can result from youth firesetting.
“If your child expresses curiosity about fire or has been playing with fire, calmly but firmly explain that matches and lighters are tools for adults only,” State Fire Marshal and Commerce & Insurance Commissioner Julie Mix McPeak said. “Children need to understand that fire is fast, difficult to control, and can hurt as soon as it touches you.”
Tennessee State Fire Marshal’s Office says “Get Alarmed Tennessee” Smoke Alarm Program has now Saved More than 100
Begun in 2012, the Smoke Alarm Program Has Helped Improve State’s Fire Safety
Nashville, TN – The Tennessee State Fire Marshal’s Office (SFMO) announces that smoke alarms installed as part of the “Get Alarmed Tennessee” program have now contributed to helping save over 100 lives since the program’s inception in 2012.
The “Get Alarmed” program’s success will be featured next week as part of presentations given by the SFMO during the National Association of State Fire Marshals annual conference in Nashville. The annual event will be held in the Renaissance Nashville Hotel in downtown Nashville. «Read the rest of this article»
Nashville, TN – As winter tightens its grip on the Volunteer State this week with hazardous sub-zero temperatures, the State Fire Marshal’s Office reminds Tennesseans how crucial it is to keep fire safety in mind as weather conditions worsen.
“Brutally cold weather can drastically increase fire risks during what is already a peak season for residential fires,” said Tennessee Department of Commerce and Insurance Commissioner Julie Mix McPeak. “It is crucial to make fire safety a priority in and around our homes to avoid the devastation that can accompany frigid temperatures.” «Read the rest of this article»
Tennessee State Fire Marshal’s Office reports working Smoke Alarm Saves Homeowners’ Lives in Arlington Fire
Nashville, TN – A smoke alarm installed through the Tennessee State Fire Marshal’s Office “Get Alarmed Tennessee” smoke-alarm distribution program is credited with saving the lives of two people in Arlington, TN in the wake of a Wednesday house fire.
Floor mats kept too close to space heater ignited in a bathroom at the home at 11810 U.S. Highway 64 in Arlington on Wednesday and caused the blaze, which was extinguished by fire crews.
But a potentially tragic situation was avoided because the two homeowners who were asleep in the home at the time of the fire were awakened by their working smoke alarm and escaped the house unharmed. «Read the rest of this article»
Now playing at the Movies
Showtime information provided by Discover Clarksville.
© 2006-2016 Clarksville, TN Online is owned and operated by residents of Clarksville Tennessee.