Topic: Tennessee State Fire Marshal
Nashville, TN - With the loss of 11 lives to residential structure fires since February 28th, the Tennessee State Fire Marshal’s Office is encouraging all Tennesseans to change their smoke alarm batteries when they change their clocks Saturday night for daylight saving time.
“Alarms, even those that are hard-wired, should have their batteries replaced regularly and should be tested monthly to ensure they’re providing the proper protection,” State Fire Marshal and Commerce & Insurance Commissioner Julie Mix McPeak says.
Nashville, TN – Every day, Americans experience the tragedy of a residential fire. According to the U.S. Fire Administration, more than 3,500 Americans die and approximately 18,300 are injured annually in fires. One of the primary causes of residential fire deaths and injuries for children under 10 is playing with a heat source, which includes lighters and matches.
“We urge parents to teach children at an early age about the dangers of playing with fire, to prevent child injuries, fire deaths and fire-setting behavior,” State Fire Marshal and Commerce & Insurance Commissioner Julie Mix McPeak says. “If your child expresses curiosity about fire or has been playing with fire, calmly but firmly explain the dangers and that matches and lighters are tools for adults only.” «Read the rest of this article»
Are you using portable heaters safely?
Nashville, TN – According to the U.S. Fire Administration, an estimated 900 portable heater fires in homes are reported to U.S. fire departments each year and cause an estimated 70 deaths, 150 injuries and $53 million in property loss.
“We cannot stress enough the importance of following safety precautions when using portable heating devices in your home,” said State Fire Marshal Julie Mix McPeak. “Keeping fire safety in mind can help save lives and property.” «Read the rest of this article»
Alternate heating sources often cause fatal fires; use checklist for home
Nashville, TN - Tennessee Fire Marshal Julie Mix McPeak wants to remind Tennesseans to keep safe and warm, as colder weather becomes more common across the state. But she urges residents to be cautious in the use of alternate heat sources.
“The colder weather means many people will begin to heat their homes with fireplaces, woodstoves and space heaters,” said McPeak. “Cold weather months typically have a higher number of accidental fire injuries and deaths, due to the use of these alternate heat sources.” «Read the rest of this article»
Steer clear of carbon monoxide hazards this fall
Nashville, TN – According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission, each year in America more than 150 people die from accidental, non-fire related carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning associated with consumer products.
These products include faulty, improperly used or incorrectly vented fuel-burning appliances such as furnaces, stoves, water heaters and fireplaces.
CO, often called “the silent killer,” is a gas you cannot see, taste, or smell. It can be created when fossil fuels, such as kerosene, gasoline, coal, natural gas, propane, methane or wood do not burn properly. «Read the rest of this article»
Tennessee State Fire Marshal reminds Tennesseans to change clocks, smoke alarm batteries for Daylight Savings Time
As time falls back this weekend, take a moment to practice fire safety
Nashville, TN – Tennessee State Fire Marshal Julie Mix McPeak is reminding Tennesseans to change the batteries in their smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors this weekend when they set back their clocks Saturday night for daylight saving time.
“Alarms, even those that are hard-wired, should have their batteries replaced regularly and should be tested monthly to ensure they’re providing the proper protection,” McPeak says. “Use the extra hour we gain this weekend to make sure your home and family are fire-safe.” «Read the rest of this article»
Nashville, TN – The presence of portable, medical oxygen in the home has grown over the past decade, and so has the need for education about the fire hazards associated with its use. Medical oxygen adds a higher percentage of oxygen to the air a patient uses to breathe. Fire needs oxygen to burn. If a fire should start in an oxygen-enriched area, the material burning will burn more quickly.
“When more oxygen is present, any fire that starts will burn hotter and faster than usual,” Tennessee State Fire Marshal Julie Mix McPeak says. “It is crucial to follow safety precautions when medical oxygen is in use in a home.” «Read the rest of this article»
Nashville, TN – “Stop, drop, and roll” has been one of the most recognizable fire safety messages for decades. Many adults remember the concept from being introduced to it as a young child.
Unfortunately, it is common for people, especially children, to mistakenly believe that they should utilize stop, drop, and roll as a reaction to all fire situations. «Read the rest of this article»
Going Camping? Add carbon monoxide risk to safety precaution list
Nashville, TN – As Tennesseans pack up and head out to their favorite campsites, the State Fire Marshal’s Office urges campers to be aware of carbon monoxide dangers in and around tents and RVs.
Carbon monoxide (CO), often called “the silent killer,” is an invisible, odorless gas created when fuels (such as kerosene, gasoline, wood, coal, natural gas, propane, oil, and methane) burn incompletely. Carbon monoxide can result from a number of camping equipment, such as including barbecue grills, portable generators or other fuel-powered devices. «Read the rest of this article»
Nashville, TN – Each year, across the country, college and university students on- and off-campus experience hundreds of fire-related emergencies. There are several specific causes for fires on college campuses, including cooking, arson and accidents.
Overall, most college-based fires are due to a general lack of knowledge about fire safety and prevention. According to information compiled by Campus Firewatch, the great majority of student fire deaths occur in off-campus housing that lacks sufficient exits, operable smoke alarms and automatic fire sprinklers. «Read the rest of this article»
Now playing at the Movies
Showtime information provided by Discover Clarksville.
© 2006-2010 Clarksville, TN Online is owned and operated by residents of Clarksville Tennessee.