28.6 F
Wednesday, February 1, 2023
HomeBusinessNeed help with a federal tax problem? Contact Taxpayer Advocate Service

Need help with a federal tax problem? Contact Taxpayer Advocate Service

With tax season fast approaching the IRS would like to ensure you have the best information available to make informed decisions on tax matters as you prepare your 2010 income tax returns.

The Taxpayer Advocate Service is an independent organization within the IRS whose employees assist taxpayers who are experiencing economic harm, who are seeking help in resolving tax problems that have not been resolved through normal IRS channels, or who believe that an IRS system or procedure is not working as it should.

Each state and IRS center has at least one local Taxpayer Advocate who is independent of the local IRS office and reports directly to the National Taxpayer Advocate. The goals of the Taxpayer Advocate Service are to protect individual and business taxpayer rights and to reduce taxpayer burden.

You may be eligible for Taxpayer Advocate Service assistance if:

  • You are experiencing economic harm or significant cost (including fees for professional representation),
  • You have experienced a delay of more than 30 days to resolve your tax issue, or
  • You have not received a response or resolution to the problem by the date that was promised by the IRS.

The service is free, confidential, tailored to meet your needs, and is available for businesses as well as individuals. Because they are part of the IRS, Advocates know the tax system and how to navigate it. If you qualify, you will receive personalized service from a knowledgeable Advocate who will:

  • Listen to your situation,
  • Help you understand what needs to be done to resolve it, and
  • Stay with you every step of the way until your problem is resolved.

Call the Taxpayer Advocate Service Case Intake Line to see if you are eligible: 1-877-777-4778 or TTY/TTD: 1-800-829-4059.


Latest Articles