Develop a new skill, explore a new idea, learn a new language or seek a new career with one of the fall classes from Austin Peay State University’s Center for Extended and Distance Education.
Register early and receive a 10 percent discount on selected courses. Preregistration is required for each course.
- Austin Peay State University
- Japanese Language & Culture will meet from 6:00pm–8:00pm, Mondays, Sept. 13th–Oct. 18th in APSU’s McReynolds Building, Room 203. (course $140.00, text $25.00, supply $15.00)
- Spanish Language & Culture—Part I will meet from 6:00pm–8:00pm, Tuesdays, Sept. 7th–Oct. 12th in APSU’s McReynolds Building, Room 204. (course $148.00, supply $7.00)
- Sign Language Basics—Part 1 will meet from 6:00pm–8:00pm, Mondays, Sept. 20th–Oct. 25th, location TBA. (course $139.00, text $54.00)
Computer software applications
- MS Excel 2007 will meet from 6:00pm-8:00pm, Tuesdays and Thursdays, Sept. 7th–21st in APSU’s McReynolds Building, Room 203. (course $127.00, lab $5.00, supply $5.00)
- MS Excel 2007 Intermediate will meet from 6:00-8:00pm, Tuesdays and Thursdays, Sept. 23rd–Oct. 7th in APSU’s McReynolds Building, Room 203. (course $127.00, lab $5.00, supply $5.00)
- Cracking the ACT—ACT Test Prep will meet from 9:00am–11:00am, Saturdays, Sept. 11th–Oct. 9th at APSU’s McReynolds Building, Room 203. (course $120.00, lab $5.00, text $32.00)
- Intro to Drawing will meet from 6:00pm–9:00pm, Wednesdays, Sept. 9th–Oct. 7th in APSU’s Clement Building, Room 301. (course $170.00, supply $30.00)
- Human Resources Certificate—Part 1 will meet from 6:00pm–8:00pm, Thursdays, Sept. 23rd–Oct. 21st, in APSU’s Clement Building, Room 128. (course $120.00, supply $7.00)
- Public Speaking for Novices will meet from 6:00pm–8:00pm, Wednesdays, Sept. 22nd–Oct. 27th at APSU’s McReynolds Building, Room 203. (Course $140.00, lab $5.00)
- So You Want to Start a Business will meet from 10:00am–1:00pm on Tuesday, Sept. 28th at Fort Campbell, KY, ACAP Center. (free)
Parenting, health and safety
- Parents, Children and Divorce, the court-mandated seminar for divorcing parents, will meet in Montgomery County from 9:00am–1:00pm, Saturday, Sept. 11th in APSU’s Clement Building, Room 128. (course $35.00, text $15.00)
- Parents, Children and Divorce, the court-mandated seminar for divorcing parents, will meet in Dickson County from 9:00am–1:00pm, Saturday, Sept. 18th at the Renaissance Center, Room 217. (course $35.00, text $15.00)
ROCE—Regents Online Continuing Education
The Center for Extended and Distance Education partners with the Regent’s Online Continuing Education (ROCE) program to offer scheduled, on-demand and public service online courses designed to meet the unique needs of the Tennessee workforce. Deadline to register for fall ROCE classes is one week prior to the start date of each class.
Continuing education units are awarded for successful completion of any ROCE class, many of which have been designated as approved professional development courses by the Police Peace Officer Standards and Training Commission, Tennessee Board of Physical Therapy, Tennessee Board of Allied Health, the Tennessee Nursing Association and the Society of Human Resource Managers.
Scheduled fall classes from ROCE will include the following:
- Differential Diagnosis for physical therapy professionals will begin online Sept. 7th, 2010. Course fee is $132.00.
- CPS Management and Certified Administrative Professional (CAP) will begin online Tuesday, Sept. 7th, 2010. Course fee is $200.00 for each class. This class helps participants prepare for the national Certified Professional Secretary (CPS) exam.
- CPS Office Administration and CPS: Office Systems and Technology will begin online Monday, Sept. 13th, 2010. Course fee is $200.00 for each class. This class helps participants prepare for the national Certified Professional Secretary (CPS) exam.
- Society of Human Resource Managers Learning System™ will begin online Sept. 13th, 2010. Course fee, including materials, is $1,199. This course helps participants prepare to take the national PHR and SPHR exams for certification as a human resource professional.
- Spanish for Emergency Medical Services will begin online Sept. 13th, 2010. Course fee is $120.00.
- ROCE also provides a variety of on-demand courses that may be started at any time during the semester and completed in as little as two hours. On-demand courses include the following:
- Multiple Antibody Identification is designed for medical laboratory scientists and technicians and may be accessed between Sept. 13th–Dec. 31th, 2010. Course fee is $180.
- Human Resource Management Certificate is an entry-level class designed for peoplw seeking a career in human resources and for those whose workplace duties require them to facilitate human resource management. Course may be accessed between Sept. 13th and Dec. 31st, 2010. Course fee is $540.00.
- POST-approved continuing education courses for law enforcement professionals are available between Sept. 20th and Dec. 31st, 2010. Course titles include “Case Management: Documenting a Criminal Case for Prosecution,” “Media Relations for Law Enforcement,” “Miranda Rights Review,” “Delegation: Improving Supervisor Skills,” “Law Enforcement Supervision: Principles of Management,” “Search and Seizure Review and Update,” “Mental Health Civil Commitment in Tennessee” and “Homeland Security/Emergency Management for Law Enforcement.” For details about these courses, including course fees, go to www.rodp.org/roce/LawPublicSafetyandHumanServices.htm or call the Center at 931-221-7816.
Public Service courses are free and open at any time throughout the year. Titles include “Ollie the Otter Seatbelt Training” and “Fetal Alcohol Syndrome.”
For more information about ROCE classes and other programs offered by the Center, please call 931-221-7816 or visit the website at www.apsu.edu/ext_ed.
The Center partners with Montgomery Rider Education Program in offering a motorcycle rider safety course. For more information or to register, contact the program director, Dee Gleason, at 931-648-2208 between 9:00am and 4:00pm, weekdays.
The Center offers more than 300 new online classes that start every month. Classes last for six weeks, are instructor-led and 100 percent online. For more details, call the Center at 931-221-7816 or visit the website at www.ed2go.com/apsu.
The Center also offers year-round online certificate programs in administrative dental assistant, administrative professional with MOS, business marketing design, Cisco CCNA, digital arts, entrepreneurship, event management and design, forensic computer examiner, grant writing, graphic design, HVAC, home inspection, interior design, lean mastery, medical transcription, medical billing and coding, multimedia design, paralegal certification, personal fitness trainer, pharmacy technician, project management, records management, travel agent, wedding planner and many more. Financial aid is available. For more information, contact the Center by telephone at 931-221-7816 or visit http://www.apsu.edu/ext_ed.
TopicsACT Test Prep, APSU, APSU Center for Extended and Distance Education, Austin Peay State University, Japanese Language, MS Excell 2007, Regent's Online Continuing Education, ROCE, Sign Language, Spanish Language