APSU Women’s Tennis
Louisville, KY – Austin Peay State University women’s tennis team took a 6-1 loss at Louisville, Friday afternoon at the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center.
The Lady Govs dropped the doubles point and lost five of six singles matches to give the Cardinals their second-straight win. It also continued Austin Peay’s non-conference road skid, which is now at six games.
Junior Vanja Tomic, at No. 1 singles, brought home Austin Peay’s only win. Tomic lost the first set 2-6, but won the second set in commanding fashion, 6-0. She carried that dominance into a 10-5 tiebreaker to take the match.
Unfortunately, the rest of the Lady Govs were not as successful. Freshman Kimberly Loo played a similar match, however, she won the first set before dropping the second and losing in a tiebreaker. No other Lady Govs player won a set.
On the doubles side, Tomic and Loo fell, 8-5, at No. 1, while sophomore Caroline Weikard and freshman Andra Cornea lost, 8-3, at No. 2. It was Weikard and Cornea’s first loss since first teaming up six matches ago. They had previously won five consecutive matches.
Austin Peay now has all of its non-conference schedule out of the way, with only Ohio Valley Conference matches left to play. The Lady Govs next host a crucial home stand with UT Martin and Eastern Illinois, next weekend.
Louisville 6, Austin Peay 1
1. TOMIC, Vanja (APSU) def. Julia Fellerhoff (UL) 2-6, 6-0, 10-5
2. Becca Shine (UL) def. WEIKARD, Carolin (APSU) 6-0, 6-1
3. Kaysara Mandry (UL) def. MARGOLIES, Rachel (APSU) 6-4, 6-1
4. Amelia Harris (UL) def. CORNEA, Andra (APSU) 6-0, 6-0
5. Gabi Duncan (UL) def. LOO, Kimberly (APSU) 3-6, 7-5, 10-5
6. Stefanie Villajuan (UL) def. No player (APSU), by default
1. Julia Fellerhoff/Becca Shine (UL) def. TOMIC, Vanja/LOO, Kimberly (APSU) 8-5
2. Stefanie Villajuan/Amelia Harris (UL) def. WEIKARD, Carolin/CORNEA, Andra (APSU) 8-3
3. Gabi Duncan/Kaysara Mandry (UL) def. No player/No player (APSU), by default