APSU Sports: Austin Peay Women’s Tennis
Clarksville, TN – Strong doubles play helped Austin Peay State University women’s tennis team to a 4-3 Ohio Valley Conference win against Jacksonville State, Saturday.The Lady Govs improved to 8-12 overall with a 5-2 OVC mark. Jacksonville State dropped to 6-16 overall with a 3-5 league record.
Austin Peay won doubles for the third consecutive match, showing marked improvement in area which struggled early in the season. However, when the Lady Govs win the doubles point, they’ve lost only twice this season.
It was Nos. 2 and 3 doubles pulling out the win against the Gamecocks. Sophomore Andra Cornea and freshman Ornella Di Salvo worked an 8-2 win at No. 2 while freshmen Vanessa Tavarez and Jovana Karak won 8-4 at No. 3.
Having the doubles point in hand meant APSU needed only three singes’ wins to take the match. Senior Vanja Tomic, who has become almost automatic, won her 17th-straight match at No. 1 singles. Tomic has now tied her personal win streak set during her 2010 season in which she was named OVC Player of the Year.
Austin Peay also got a win from Alison Carre at No. 3 singles, needing a second-set tiebreaker to close it. Cornea also won her second-straight match at No. 4 singles.
Next for the Lady Govs is a season-ending road trip with matches at Eastern Kentucky and Morehead State, next weekend.
Austin Peay 4, Jacksonville State 3
1. TOMIC, Vanja (APSUW) def. GUASTI, Raisa (JSUW) 6-4, 6-1
2. LIMA, Raphaela (JSUW) def. Di SALVO, Ornella (APSUW) 6-2, 6-3
3. CARRE, Alison (APSUW) def. WENZEL, Rafaela (JSUW) 6-2, 7-6 (7-3)
4. CORNEA, Andra (APSUW) def. BIZINOS, Zoe (JSUW) 6-2, 6-0
5. KERINDI, Danielle (JSUW) def. TAVAREZ, Vanessa (APSUW) 6-2, 7-5
6. CMILIJIC, Aleksandra (JSUW) def. KARAK, Jovana (APSUW) 4-6, 7-6, 10-4
1. GUASTI, Raisa/LIMA, Raphaela (JSUW) def. TOMIC, Vanja/CARRE, Alison (APSUW) 8-2
2. CORNEA, Andra/Di SALVO, Ornella (APSUW) def. WENZEL, Rafaela/BIZINOS, Zoe (JSUW) 8-2
3. TAVAREZ, Vanessa/KARAK, Jovana (APSUW) def. TOMLIN, Kelly/CMILIJIC, Aleksandra (JSUW) 8-4