APSU Sports: Austin Peay Baseball
Clarksville, TN – Austin Peay State University’s baseball team put the finishing touches on its 2013 recruiting class with the addition of right-handed pitcher D.W. Whitson from Columbia State Community College.
The 6-5, 195-pound Whitson posted an 8-2 record and 3.41 ERA last season for Columbia State. He recorded 41 strikeouts in 68.2 innings pitched over 13 appearances. That mark included allowing only one run in a complete-game victory against Southwest Tennessee in the Region VII Tournament’s third round. He pitched sparingly as a freshman for the Chargers, seeing action in 15 innings over eight games and finishing 0-1 with a 2.40 ERA.“D.W. has a big strong arm that we felt we needed on our staff for the upcoming season,” said APSU Baseball head coach Gary McClure. “He had plenty of success at Columbia State and proved he had the arm to get the job done. We feel fortunate to get his type of ability this late in the recruiting process. I have to give a lot of credit to my staff for following through and wrapping up what I believe is one of our strongest recruiting classes ever.”
Whitson prepped at Unicoi County High School where he pitched and played shortstop. He was an All-Region 1 selection as a pitcher by the Tennessee Baseball Coaches Association in 2010 as he helped lead the Raiders to the Class AA State Tournament.
Austin Peay has added 11 pitchers to its 2013 roster through this season’s recruiting which finished with 16 newcomers scheduled to join the team.
2013 Austin Peay Baseball Incoming Class
Spring Signing Class
- Kevin Corey, 6-1, 160-pound, infielder/right-handed pitcher, Los Gatos, Calif. (Chabot CC)
- Tyler Crawford, 5-10, 160-pound, right-handed pitcher, Seymour, Tenn. (Seymour HS)
- Michael Davis, 6-3, 215-pound, catcher, Savannah, Tenn. (Walters State CC)
- Craig Massoni, 6-1, 200-pound, infielder/outfielder, Danville, Calif. (Chabot CC)
- Chase Morris, 6-1, 180-pound, right-handed pitcher, Tullahoma, Tenn. (Motlow State CC)
- Lee Ridenhour, 6-4, 220-pound, right-handed pitcher/designated hitter, Lenexa, Kan. (Johnson County CC)
- Kyle Schlatter, 6-3, 210-pound infielder, Overland Park, Kan. (Blue Valley West HS)
- D.W. Whitson, 6-5, 195-pound, right-handed pitcher, Unicoi, Tenn. (Columbia State CC)
Fall Signing Class
- Jared Carkuff, 6-2, 160-pound, right-handed pitcher, Bell Buckle, Tenn. (Cascade HS)
- Matt Ferguson, 6-2, 185-pound, right-handed pitcher, Arlington, Tenn. (Arlington HS)
- A.J. Gaura, 6-6, 240-pound, right-handed pitcher, Suamico, Wis. (Iowa Western CC)
- Tommy Hager, 6-0, 185-pound, outfielder/left-handed pitcher, O’Fallon, Mo. (Fort Zumwalt West)
- Zach Hall, 6-1, 185-pound, left-handed pitcher, Troy, Ill. (Parkland College)
- Brian Krolikowski, 6-3, 230-pound, right-handed pitcher, Batavia, Ill. (Parkland College)
- Hunter Lindley, 5-10, 185-pound, pitcher/infielder, Germantown, Tenn. (St. George’s Independent School)
- Jake Walters, 5-10, 190-pound, infielder, Sparta, Ill. (St. John Vianney HS)