Golden Pond, KY – Land Between The Lakes (LBL) National Recreation Area celebrates Wolf Week October 8th-14th. Join us at the Woodlands Nature Station to learn more about these intelligent, awe-inspiring, and rare animals.
Fun, educational programs will be featured throughout the week for wolf enthusiasts of all ages.
The Nature Station participates in the Red Wolf Recovery Program, a captive breeding program for the endangered red wolf. “Red wolves were once declared officially extinct in the wild. Thanks to recovery efforts, they have been reintroduced into a wildlife refuge in North Carolina. Yet, red wolves are still designated as a critically endangered species.
Wolf Week is an opportunity to learn about how LBL is helping in the recovery of these amazing creatures,” said Carrie Szwed, Public Programs Coordinator at the NS.
Visitors to the NS will have an opportunity to view captive red wolves during special programs designed for Wolf Week and learn more about this rare animal and its comeback from the brink of extinction.
Wolf Week is also a time to dispel some of the common myths people have about wolves. “We will discuss myths including wolves being portrayed as wicked characters in fairy tales such as Little Red Riding Hood,” added Szwed. “People often think predators are undesirable because they kill other animals, but they are an integral part of wild ecosystems.”
All Wolf Week programs are free with Nature Station admission. Programs throughout the week will include:
- Mon, Oct 8 @ 1:30pm World’s Most Endangered
- Mon, Oct 8 @ 2:30pm Treat Time for the Wolves
- Tue, Oct 9 @ 1:30pm Wolves of the World
- Tue, Oct 9 @ 2:30pm Treat Time for the Wolves
- Wed, Oct 10 @ 1:30pm Who’s Afraid of the Big Bad Wolf?
- Wed, Oct 10 @ 2:30pm Treat Time for the Wolves
- Thu, Oct 11 @ 1:30pm Red Wolves: A Southern Wonder
- Thu, Oct 11 @ 2:30pm Treat Time for the Wolves
- Fri, Oct 12 @ 1:30pm Howl Your Head Off
- Fri, Oct 12 @ 2:30pm Treat Time for the Wolves
- Sat, Oct 13 @ 11:30am Wolf Jeopardy
- Sat, Oct 13 @1:30pm “The True Story of the Three Little Pigs!” Puppet Show
- Sat, Oct 13 @ 3pm Treat Time for the Wolves
- Sun, Oct 14 @ 11:30am Wolf Movie
- Sun, Oct 14 @ 1:30pm “The Hunger Games” Wolf Edition
- Sun, Oct 14 @ 3pm Treat Time for the Wolves
Come Outside and Play at Land Between The Lakes National Recreation Area. Managed by the Forest Service, U.S. Department of Agriculture, Land Between The Lakes provides outdoor recreation, lake access, and environmental education for the public to enjoy. Visitors are encouraged to review LBL’s official website at www.lbl.org often for Calendar of Events, updates on programs and policies, safety information, maps, temporary trail and road closures, and additional LBL information, or call 800.LBL.7077 or 270.924.2000. Follow LBL on www.Twitter.com/LBLScreechOwl or www.Twitter.com/LandBtwnLakes.