Clarksville, TN – On Thursday, May 23rd, Montgomery Central High School graduated 194 students in a ceremony held at Austin Peay State University’s Dunn Center. Family and friends of the students gathered to watch as they walked across the stage to pick up their diplomas.
Throughout the Clarksville-Montgomery County School System, a total of 1,834 students graduated in 8 separate ceremonies held between Thursday and Saturday.
Senior Kylie Eastin almost didn’t make it to her own graduation as the result of being hit by a drunk driver while on her way to school on May 16th. Eastin suffered a broken leg and other injuries during the accident. It was simply amazing to see her as she received her diploma during graduation ceremony.
“It’s a great feeling to be graduating with my classmates. I am so happy I am here, I wouldn’t have it any other way!,” she said while speaking to Clarksville Online shortly before the ceremony. She continued, “I know I don’t actually get to walk, I get to be pushed; but it’s such a blessing to be here!”
A public education is expensive, but delivers a great return to the community. Taxpayers spent around $174,481,258.00 educating these 1,834 students, roughly one hundred thousand dollars each.
Many of the students will be heading off to various public and private colleges in order to complete their education, towards this end, the students were recipients of “more than 29 million dollars in college scholarships”, according to CMCSS spokeswoman Elise Shelton.
“I’m very proud to be graduating this group of students,” said Montgomery Central High School Principal Christy Houston after the ceremony. “As I said in my address, these students have a really strong sense of community, a spirit of kindness towards one another, and they’ve been a really great group of young people to work with. So we’re all really proud of them!”
- Presentation of Colors – JROTC
- National Anthem – Performed by Carolyn Ford, Alexis Jackson, Cameron Miller, Jacob Yarborough
- Welcome – Senior Class President KayCee Lindberg
- Vocal Music – Seasons of Love performed by the Senior Choir
- Introduction of Faculty and Guests – Principal Mrs. Christie Houston
- Introduction of Speakers – Principal Mrs. Christie Houston
- Salutatorian Address – Jonathan Johnson, “An Odyssey in a Box”
- Valedictorian Address – Alexis Jackson, “Mausoleum of All Hope and Desire”
- Presentation of Class – Principal Mrs. Christie Houston
- Acceptance of Class – Director of Schools Dr. B.J. Worthington
- Presentation of Diplomas – Principal Mrs. Christie Houston
- Reader of Names – Mrs. Melanie Hazen
- Final Words – Student Body President Bailey McMahan
- Alma Mater – led by Traci Moore, Samantha Jo Perry