72.6 F
Monday, October 3, 2022
HomeNewsTennessee State Fire Marshal reminds everyone about Carbon Monoxide Hazards

Tennessee State Fire Marshal reminds everyone about Carbon Monoxide Hazards

Tennessee State Fire MarshalNashville, TN – The Tennessee State Fire Marshal Gary West is reminding Tennesseans to steer clear of carbon monoxide hazards.

According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission, each year in America more than 150 people die from accidental, non-fire related carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning associated with consumer products.

These products include faulty, improperly used or incorrectly vented fuel-burning appliances such as furnaces, stoves, water heaters and fireplaces.

CO, often called “the silent killer,” is a gas you cannot see, taste, or smell. It can be created when fuels (such as gasoline, coal, natural gas, propane, oil, methane or wood) do not burn properly.

In the home, heating and cooking equipment that burn fuel are potential sources of carbon monoxide. Generators or vehicles running in an attached garage can also produce dangerous levels of carbon monoxide.

Symptoms of CO poisoning include headache, nausea, fatigue, dizziness, shortness of breath and drowsiness. Exposure to undetected high levels of carbon monoxide can be fatal. A person can be poisoned by a small amount of CO over a longer period of time or by a large amount of CO over a shorter amount of time.

“With the weather turning colder, many Tennesseans will be turning to fuel-burning equipment to heat their homes,” State Fire Marshal Gary West says. “It’s important to ensure that this equipment is professionally inspected and properly ventilated to avoid the tragedy of carbon monoxide poisoning.”

The State Fire Marshal’s Office offers these tips to keep your home safe from CO dangers: 

  • CO alarms should be installed in a central location outside each sleeping area and on every level of the home and in other locations where required by applicable laws, codes or standards. For the best protection, interconnect all CO alarms throughout the home. When one detects CO, they all sound.
  • Follow the manufacturer’s instructions for placement and mounting height.
  • Choose a CO alarm that has the label of a recognized testing laboratory.
  • Call your local fire department’s non-emergency number to find out what number to call if the CO alarm sounds.
  • Test CO alarms at least once a month; replace them according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
  • If the audible trouble signal sounds, check for low batteries. If the battery is low, replace it. If it still sounds, call the fire department.
  • If the CO alarm sounds, immediately move to a fresh air location outdoors or by an open window or door. Make sure everyone inside the home is accounted for. Call for help from a fresh air location and stay there until emergency personnel arrive.
  • If you need to warm a vehicle, remove it from the garage immediately after starting it. Do not run a vehicle or other fueled engine or motor indoors, even if garage doors are open. Make sure the exhaust pipe of a running vehicle is not covered with snow.
  • During and after a snow, make sure vents for the dryer, furnace, stove, and fireplace are clear of snow build-up.
  • A generator should be used in a well-ventilated location outdoors away from windows, doors and vent openings.
  • Gas or charcoal grills can produce CO. Use them outdoors only.
  • When using a fireplace, open the flue for adequate ventilation. And, have the flue and chimney cleaned before the first use of the season to minimize the chances of any obstructions.
  • Never use your oven or stovetop to heat your home.

About Tennessee State Fire Marshal’s Office

The State Fire Marshal’s Office is a division of the Department of Commerce and Insurance, which works to protect consumers while ensuring fair competition for industries and professionals who do business in Tennessee.

Visit our website at www.tn.gov/fire for more fire prevention tips. Follow us on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube.


Latest Articles