Following these simple tips can unlock savings on your summer vacation
Tampa, FL – Hotel demand will soon rise like the summer sun as we inch closer to what could become the most-traveled Memorial Day weekend in history.
“Our AAA travel forecast is not finished yet, but all indicators point to a booming travel season,” said Jennifer Butler, Managing Director of Travel Product Development, AAA – The Auto Club Group. “Continuously low gas prices and improvements in the economy will likely encourage more people to travel in the coming months, so now is the time to book a hotel if you want to save some money.”
Top Tips for Booking a Hotel
1. Contact a Travel Agent to get Options and Prices. People who book a hotel through AAA can save between 5-20%. Travel agents know the ins and outs of the travel industry and have personal relationships with hoteliers, attractions, and more to help get the best deals possible, with the most value.
2. Watch for changing rates before check-in. Frequently monitor the price of your room even after booking. If the rate drops before you check-in, and you claim it, many hotels will honor the lower price.
3. Engage with hotels on social networks. Before booking a hotel, ‘like’ them on Facebook and follow them on Twitter. Many times, deals will be announced on social sites that you can take advantage of prior to booking. Also, comment on their social sites about your interest to stay at the property and you may receive an individual discount offer or free upgrade as an incentive to get you to book.
4. Join Rewards Programs. A vast majority of hotels, especially hotel chains, have free rewards programs. You can accumulate points by booking hotel rooms or shopping with a hotel’s partner companies. Once you accrue points, you can earn a free hotel stay.
5. Request an upgrade upon check-in. It doesn’t hurt to ask, especially if you’re a member of the hotel’s reward program. Sometimes hotels have had a hard time filling vacancies in high-end rooms, so they may offer it to you at either a discounted rate or no additional charge.
6. Book hotels that offer more than just a room. Look for hotels with extra perks to save you money.
- A shuttle to and from the local attraction, so you don’t have to spend money on gas, taxi, or parking
- Free hotel parking, which can cost upwards of $10 a night
- Enjoy a free breakfast to eliminate paying for a meal that can easily reach $100 for a family of four or bigger
- Get a room with a kitchenette to cook if you want to stay in and save on dinner
- Hotels owned by theme parks may be more expensive up-front, but often offer incentives like free park admission or fast passes worth more than a hundred dollars
7. Bundle It. You can save money when you go on vacation by bundling travel essentials. Through websites or travel agencies like AAA, you can acquire cheap airfare, a hotel reservation, and a rental car in a package, saving hundreds of dollars.
About The Auto Club Group
The Auto Club Group (ACG) is the second largest AAA club in North America. ACG and its affiliates provide membership, travel, insurance and financial services offerings to approximately 9 million members across eleven states and two U.S. territories including Florida, Georgia, Iowa, Michigan, Nebraska, North Dakota, Tennessee, Wisconsin, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands; most of Illinois and Minnesota; and a portion of Indiana.
ACG belongs to the national AAA federation with more than 55 million members in the United States and Canada and whose mission includes protecting and advancing freedom of mobility and improving traffic safety.