APSU Sports Information
Richmond, KY – APSU women’s tennis team received strong play out of its top three players, but fell 4-3 against Eastern Kentucky in the first Ohio Valley Conference match of the season.Three freshmen – Lidia Yanes Garcia, Claudia Yanes Garcia and Helena Kuppig – paced the Austin Peay State University Lady Govs (1-6) in singles play, but fell one point short versus the Colonels (6-8).
Lidia Yanes Garcia topped EKU’s top player Laura Argente, 6-2, 6-4, while twin sister Claudia continued her torrid pace with a three-set win over Viktorija Demcenkova, 4-6, 6-3, 6-3. At the No. 3 position, Helena Kuppig battled to earn a well-deserved victory over Corentine Bodin, 6-7, 6-4, 10-8.
However, the Colonels claimed the remaining three singles points, and previously the doubles point, leading to their first OVC win.
In doubles play, Austin Peay got off to a great start, with Claudia Yanes Garcia and Covington gaining a 6-4 victory over Demcenkova and Lacroix to begin the day. But Eastern Kentucky rallied to win the remaining two matches – Argene/Montalvo def. Lidia Yanes Garcia/Kuppig, 6-3, and Bodin/Marti def. Tatlock/Jovanovic, 7-5.
The Govs return to the court, Saturday, at Morehead State.
1. YANES GARCIA, Lidia (APSU) def. Laura Argente (EKU) 6-2, 6-4
2. YANES GARCIA, Claudi (APSU) def. Viktorija Demcenkova (EKU) 4-6, 6-3, 6-3
3. KUPPIG, Helena (APSU) def. Corentine Bodin (EKU) 6-7, 6-4, 10-8
4. Margaux Lacroix (EKU) def. TATLOCK, Hannah (APSU) 6-4, 7-6
5. Marina Marti (EKU) def. COVINGTON, Brittney (APSU) 6-2, 6-2
6. Raquel Montalvo (EKU) def. JOVANOVIC, Isabela (APSU) 6-4, 6-2
1. Laura Argente/Raquel Montalvo (EKU) def. YANES GARCIA, Lidia/KUPPIG, Helena (APSU) 6-3
2. YANES GARCIA, Claudi/COVINGTON, Brittney (APSU) def. Viktorija Demcenkova/Margaux Lacroix (EKU) 6-4
3. Corentine Bodin/Marina Marti (EKU) def. TATLOCK, Hannah/JOVANOVIC, Isabela (APSU) 7-5