APSU Sports Information
Clarksville, TN – Sophomore outside hitter Cecily Gable, of the Austin Peay State University volleyball team, has been named the Copies in a Flash APSU Athlete of the Week.
Gable was named Tournament MVP at The Citadel’s Bulldog Invitational last week, posting 55 kills and a .322 attack percentage for the tournament.
The Memphis native posted career-highs in kills in three straight contests—16 against Charleston Southern, Friday, followed by 17 in Saturday contests against Elon and Savannah State.
In addition to tournament MVP honors, Gable earned her first career adidas® Ohio Valley Conference Co-Offensive Player of the Week honor, sharing the award with Eastern Kentucky’s Cassie Knutson.
The Copies in a Flash APSU Athlete of the Week is selected by the APSU Sports Information staff each Wednesday during the academic year. Copies in a Flash, of Clarksville, sponsors the award.
Other notable performances by Austin Peay athletes included:
- Junior forward Kirstin Robertson, of the soccer team, added three more goals to her season tally to take over the conference lead with seven. She scored APSU’s lone goal at TCU and added a brace against Chattanooga, Sunday, earning her second OVC Offensive Player of the Week honor in 2016.
- Sophomore Taylor Goodley, of the women’s golf team, tied for 12th at the Cardinal Classic with a three-round 223 (74-74-75), breaking her 36-hole best on Monday and equaling her 54-hole career low over the two-day event. Goodley’s performance enabled the Govs to break the school 54-hole record for the third time in as many events.
- Sophomore setter Kristen Stucker, of the volleyball team, earned OVC Setter of the Week honors after averaging 11.1 assists per set last week. She totaled 200 assists, 46 digs and 11 kills over five matches, including a 52-assist, 14-dig effort against Elon, Saturday.
- Freshman Hezron Kiptoo, of the men’s cross country team, record the Govs best finish in 2016 with a 17th-place showing in the men’s eight-kilometer at the Rhodes Invitational, posting a 26:21.25 mark.
- Junior Kaitlyn Teeter, of the volleyball team, earned OVC Newcomer of the Week accolades thanks to five straight double-digit kill outings last week. She began the week with a career-high 19 kills against Saint Louis and had double-doubles against Charleston Southern (12 kills, 11 digs) and Elon (13 kills, 14 digs) at the Bulldog Invitational.
- Sophomore Lidia Yanes Garcia, of the women’s tennis team, was runner-up in Flight 1 at the APSU Fall Invitational, defeating UT Martin’s Assel Jumamukhambetova (6-3, 6-1) and Lewis’ Dora Andrejszki (6-1, 6-1) to reach the finals.