Nashville, TN – The Tennessee Department of Commerce & Insurance (TDCI) reminds consumers that Open Enrollment for insurance coverage on the Federally Facilitated Marketplace (FFM) begins November 1st, 2016.
During Open Enrollment, Tennesseans can apply for cost assistance, change plans, and enroll in a plan.
Tennesseans will have access to marketplace coverage for 2017 no matter where they live.
However, consumers shopping for coverage will notice several significant changes in the marketplace, including:
- Blue Cross Blue Shield of Tennessee (BCBST) will not offer coverage on or off the exchange in the Nashville, Memphis, and Knoxville markets.
- Cigna will provide coverage in Nashville, Memphis, and Johnson City.
- Humana will provide coverage in Nashville, Memphis, and Knoxville and will be the only exchange carrier providing coverage in the Knoxville region.
- BCBST will be the only exchange carrier providing coverage in parts of the state not mentioned above.
- United Healthcare will no longer be in the Tennessee individual market.
Visit the Department’s website to see specific coverage information related to Tennessee’s eight rating areas in 2017 as well as specific insurer plan information.
A consumer whose plan is no longer offered should review all insurance options to make the best choice for her/himself. Consumers may purchase insurance “off” the exchange in the individual market, but those purchases will not be eligible for premium subsidies.
The Department emphasizes the need for consumers to carefully review plan networks. If you like your physician, make sure he/she is included in the plan network and check carrier directories for local hospitals to ensure easy access to ‘in-network’ services, where possible. Several plans provide tight networks and/or limited out-of-network benefits. To avoid unexpected and unpleasant balance bills, always see network providers.
Consumers should also be aware that they may face an increased federal tax penalty for being uninsured in 2017 unless they otherwise qualify for an exemption under Department of Health and Human Services guidance.
Questions about Open Enrollment? Contact us at 1.800.342.4029 or 615.741.2218.