APSU Sports Information
Little Rock, AR – Austin Peay State University women’s tennis team could not overcome the loss of two matches by forfeit, narrowly losing 4-3 to Central Arkansas, Sunday, at the Burns Park Tennis Center.
The Govs (1-3) stayed competitive in the match despite having to forfeit the No. 6 singles and No. 3 doubles once again due to only five players being healthy.
The Sugar Bears (4-2) won at No. 2 doubles and No. 3 doubles (by forfeit) to claim the doubles point.
The Govs got wins from Lidia Yanes Garcia, Fabienne Schmidt, and Helena Kuppig from No. 1 to No. 3 singles, respectively, to take the lead 3-2 in the match, but the Sugar Bears got crucial wins at #4 and #5 singles to clinch the match.
Austin Peay returns to action this Friday, February 16th at Dayton.
Central Arkansas 4, Austin Peay 3
3. QiLi Ma/Rada Manataweewat (UCA) def. No player/No player (APSU), by default
1. Lidia Yanes Garcia (APSU) def. Pornpawee Pramethong (UCA) 2-6, 6-2, 6-4
2. Fabienne Schmidt (APSU) def. Chunan Xiang (UCA) 6-3, 6-4
3. Helena Kuppig (APSU) def. QiLi Ma (UCA) 6-4, 6-1
4. Hee-Jin Oh (UCA) def. Ana Albertson (APSU) 6-3, 6-1
5. Amiru Shimoguchi (UCA) def. Brittney Covington (APSU) 6-3, 7-6 (5-0)
6. Marli Van Heerden (UCA) def. No player (APSU), by default
Order of finish: Doubles (1, 2); Singles (3, 2, 1, 5, 4)