APSU Sports Information
Clarksville, TN – Austin Peay State University women’s tennis team extended its winning streak to three matches as they defeated Tennessee State, 5-2, Friday, at the Governors Tennis Courts.
The Govs (4-5) got a big boost at Claudia Yanes Garcia returned to the court for the Ohio Valley Conference opener, although she only played in doubles and additionally played with her non-dominant left hand.
Yanes Garcia had not played in a match since the first match of the year.
The Tigers (10-3) got off to a great start as they won at No. 3 doubles 6-0. However, the Govs responded by winning at No. 1 and No. 2 doubles to claim the doubles point and gave APSU a 1-0 lead.
In singles, the top of the order continued to churn out good performances as Lidia Yanes Garcia, Fabienne Schmidt, and Helena Kuppig all won their singles matches. Schmidt’s victory over Morgan Cage (6-0, 6-3) at No. 2 singles clinched the match for the Govs. Ana Albertson also claimed a win at No. 4 singles before Tennessee State won at No. 5 and No. 6 singles, albeit No. 6 at forfeit.
The Govs continue their OVC play at home, 10:00am, Saturday, against Belmont.
Austin Peay 5, Tennessee State 2
1. Lidia Yanes Garcia (APSU) def. POPIASHVILI, Ani (TSUW) 6-1, 6-1
2. Fabienne Schmidt (APSU) def. CAGE, Morgan (TSUW) 6-0, 6-3
3. Helena Kuppig (APSU) def. KAKKAR, Aarushi (TSUW) 6-2, 6-1
4. Ana Albertson (APSU) def. JONES, Ashia (TSUW) 7-5, 7-6 (7-2)
5. VISHWANATH, A (TSUW) def. Brittney Covington (APSU) 6-3, 7-6 (7-2)
6. NATRAJ, Pragati (TSUW) def. No player (APSU), by forfeit
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (1,3,2,4,5)