APSU Sports Information
Richmond, KY – Austin Peay State University women’s tennis team could not overcome Eastern Kentucky in the regular season finale, falling 6-1, Friday, at the Tom Higgins Outdoor Courts.
The Govs (10-8, 6-3 OVC) knew they would be playing for seeding in next week’s Ohio Valley Conference Tournament, but the Colonels (13-8, 8-0 OVC) still were playing for an OVC regular season title, which will be decided tomorrow. The Colonels came out of the gate fast, winning easily at No. 1 and No. 3 doubles to claim the doubles point.
The singles did not start much better for the Govs, as EKU went up 2-0 with a win at No. 4 singles.
However, Fabienne Schmidt easily defeated EKU’s Viktorija Demcenkova (6-1, 6-4) at No. 3 singles to cut EKU’s lead to one. The Colonels responded though, reeling off four straight wins to win the match 6-1.
Lidia Yanes Garcia had her sixteen dual-match winning streak ended, but it stands as the second longest streak in Governors history.
The Govs will wait to see who and when they will play in next week’s OVC Tournament.
Eastern Kentucky 6, Austin Peay 1
1. Laura Argente (EKU) def. Lidia Yanes Garcia (APSU) 7-6, 6-3
2. Kristina Lagoda (EKU) def. Claudia Yanes Garcia (APSU) 7-5, 6-0
3. Fabienne Schmidt (APSU) def. Viktorija Demcenkova (EKU) 6-1, 6-4
4. Alexandra Belle (EKU) def. Helena Kuppig (APSU) 6-3, 6-2
5. Lisa Friess (EKU) def. Ana Albertson (APSU) 7-6, 6-4
6. Margaux Lacroix (EKU) def. Brittney Covington (APSU) 6-0, 6-1
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3); Singles (4,3,6,2,1,5)