Clarksville, TN – On August 6th-7th, 2020, Austin Peay State University (APSU) will host five commencement ceremonies to honor the University’s spring and summer graduates.
Earlier this year, the COVID-19 Coronavirus pandemic caused Austin Peay State University – along with most schools around the country – to postpone its May graduation ceremonies because of health and safety concerns, but the University remained committed to recognizing students’ accomplishments.
On Thursday, August 6th, Austin Peay State University will host three ceremonies for spring graduates, and on August 7th, the University will host another morning ceremony for spring graduates and an afternoon ceremony for all summer graduates.
All ceremonies will take place in the APSU Dunn Center and follow the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s (CDC) social distancing guidelines. All students, guests and Austin Peay State University employees will be required to follow established guidelines.
- 10:00am, August 6th, APSU will honor the May graduates from the College of Behavioral and Health Science’s Criminal Justice, Leadership and Organizational Administration, Public Management, Political Science, Psychology and Sociology programs and Austin Peay State University’s general studies program.
- 2:00pm, August 6th, APSU will honor the May graduates from the College of Business and the College of Behavioral and Health Science’s Health and Human Performance, Nursing and Social Work programs.
- 6:00pm, August 6th, Austin Peay State University will honor the May graduates from the Eriksson College of Education and students earning the Liberal Arts associate degree.
- 10:00am, August 7th, APSU will honor the May graduates from the College of Arts and Letters and the College of Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics.
- 2:00pm, August 7th, Austin Peay State University will honor all August graduates.
An additional ceremony will be added at 6:00pm on August 7th, if more space is needed to accommodate August graduates who complete an application to graduate and indicate they will attend Commencement.
In order to provide as safe an environment as possible, all graduates and guests (three years and older) must wear a face covering or mask while inside the Dunn Center. The number of guest seats available in the Dunn Center will be limited to ensure social distancing, and each graduate will be provided with a limited number of tickets to distribute to guests.
Every guest entering the Dunn Center will be required to present a ticket. The ceremonies will also be shortened to limit time indoors, but be assured attending graduates will be recognized by name as they walk across the stage.
Information about tickets and other details will be emailed to graduates in the next two weeks. Austin Peay State University faculty will receive additional information through the Office of Academic Affairs.
Doors to the Dunn Center will open one hour prior to the start of each ceremony for guests and graduating students to enter the facility.
Graduates who cannot attend the ceremony scheduled for their college will be allowed to participate in any other ceremony or in the University’s fall commencement. Participation in commencement is not a requirement for earning a degree.
May graduates who completed all required coursework will be mailed their diplomas on July 1st. Diplomas for August graduates will be ready on September 15th, and distribution of those diplomas will be announced at a later date.
Austin Peay State University offers a free live webcast of each commencement ceremony. A link to the webcast will be made available on the commencement web page, www.apsu.edu/commencement/commencementinformation/webcast.php, within 24 hours of each ceremony.
Plans for the ceremonies in August are subject to modification based upon changes in the COVID-19 Coronavirus environment. Any updates about the ceremonies in August will be emailed to participating graduates and posted on the University’s social media accounts and the Commencement webpage, www.apsu.edu/commencement/index.php.