Clarksville, TN – After honoring its two seniors, Anton Damberg and Oliver Andersson, the Austin Peay State University (APSU) men’s tennis team dropped a 5-2 decision against Tennessee State, Friday, at the Governors Tennis Courts.
Austin Peay (5-9, 1-3 OVC) jumped out to an early advantage against the Tigers (6-19, 2-2 OVC) after claiming wins from its No. 1 and No. 3 doubles positions.
Andersson and freshman Hogan Stoker’s match was the next to go final, as the duo earned their fourth win of the season and second in conference action.
The Govs’ freshman pairing of Tom Bolton and Giovanni Becchis had their match go unfinished while leading 4-3.
Damberg finished with a perfect Senior Day performance, winning in a pair of 6-1 sets on the No. 3 singles court to secure his team-best sixth win of the season.
After dropping to proceeding two matches on the No. 6 and No 4 positions, Schlossmann fell in a pair of narrow sets from the top line to put the Tigers one point away from securing the win.
After winning the first set, 7-5, Andersson fell in the following sets, 7-5, 6-1, respectively, before Becchis dropped his three-set match on the No. 5 court.
Following the loss, the Governors enter the postseason as the No. 4 seed in the OVC Men’s Tennis Championship.
Results vs. Tennessee State
- Frederic Schlossmann / Anton Damberg (APSU) def. Daniel Perez Carballo / Diego Britt-Albarez (TSU), 6-1
- Tom Bolton / Giovanni Becchis (APSU) vs. Leandros Misdrachis / Nil Moinet (TSU), Unfinished at 4-3
- Oliver Andersson / Hogan Stoker (APSU) def. Pierre Copin / Maksims Kazijevs (TSU), 6-2
Order of Finish: 1, 3*
- Leandros Misdrachis (TSU) def. Frederic Schlossmann (APSU), 7-6 (7-5), 6-4
- Daniel Perez Carballo (TSU) def. Oliver Andersson (APSU), 5-7, 7-5, 6-2
- Anton Damberg (APSU) def. Maksims Kazijevs (TSU), 6-1, 6-1
- Nil Moinet (TSU) def. Tom Bolton (APSU), 6-3, 6-4
- Diego Britt-Alvarez (TSU) def. Giovanni Becchis (APSU), 6-7 (8-10), 7-5, 6-3
- Pierro Copin (TSU) def. Thiago Nogueira (APSU), 6-2, 6-2
Order of Finish: 3, 6, 4, 1, 2*, 5
Follow the APSU Govs
Next Up For APSU Men’s Tennis
The Austin Peay State University men’s tennis team faces No. 5 Eastern Illinois on April 29th in a 2:00pm match at the Wesselman Tennis Center in Evansville, Indiana. APSU defeated Eastern Illinois, April 9th, and have won 13 of their last 14 matches against the Panthers.