Austin Peay State University Sports Information
Louisville, KY – Austin Peay State University (APSU) men’s tennis team struggled to get going in the second match in back-to-back days, falling at Louisville, Sunday, at the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center.
The Governors (2-6) knew they would face a tougher challenge after defeating Carson-Newman, 6-1, on Saturday. The Govs had never beaten the Cardinals (9-3) entering Sunday’s match.
The Cardinals gained all the momentum by sweeping the doubles matches to take a 1-0 lead into singles.
In singles, Almantas Ozelis pushed his opponent to a 7-5 scoreline in the second set, but the Cardinals gained the upper hand early on. Eventually, the Cardinals won every singles match to end up with the victory.
The Govs return to action next Saturday by taking on North Alabama on the road.
Results: Louisville 7, Austin Peay 0
1. Brandon Lancaster (LOU-MT) def. Almantas Ozelis (APSU) 6-3, 7-5
2. Fabien Salle (LOU-MT) def. Christian Edison (APSU) 6-1, 6-0
3. Federico Gomez (LOU-MT) def. Timo Kiesslich (APSU) 6-2, 6-0
4. Sergio Ramirez (LOU-MT) def. Anton Damberg (APSU) 6-3, 6-2
5. David Mizrahi (LOU-MT) def. Jacob Lorino (APSU) 6-2, 6-4
6. Alex Wesbrooks (LOU-MT) def. Chad Woodham (APSU) 6-1, 6-1
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (2,6,3,4,5,1)