APSU Sports Information
Jacksonville, AL – Austin Peay State University men’s tennis team kicked off the Ohio Valley Conference schedule with a solid 5-2 victory against Jacksonville State, Saturday, at the JSU Tennis Complex.
The return of Austin Peay No. 1 Jasmin Ademovic bolstered the Govs line-up Saturday; in his first action since mid-February, Ademovic defeated Pedro Wagner 5-7, 7-6, 6-4 in singles action, and teamed with junior Aleksas Tverijonas for an 8-7 win against Jaryd Reese and Jefferson Windler-Filho, 8-7.
“He competed really hard today,” said head coach Ross Brown. “I don’t think he’s back to playing his best tennis yet, but it was good to have him back out there. He put himself in a position to win after battling back in the second set.”
Tverijonas and junior Dimitar Ristovski posted nearly identical scores behind Ademovic. Ristovski returned to his customary spot at No. 2 and knocked off Reese 7-6, 6-3. Tverijonas made it eight straight singles victories to start the season with a 7-6, 6-4 win against Dylan Gee.
Ristovski and junior Iago Seffrin secured the Govs doubles point with an 8-6 win against Wagner and Felipe Diaz.
“I believe we can play better doubles than what we showed today,” Brown said. “Those guys at one are better than what we saw today; I’m hopeful we will continue to improve there. We were fortunate to get the win today, but at the same time, we’re a pretty tough team to beat.”
Freshman Manuel Montenegro sewed up the Govs other singles win, battling back from a rough second set for a 6-3, 2-6, 10-4 win at No. 6.
“I believe that Manuel was the better player, so it was important for him to get the win,” Brown said. “It’s important for the freshmen to get off to good starts in conference play.”
The Govs 12noon, Sunday match at Tennessee Tech has been postponed due to impending inclement weather; a make-up date will be announced at a later time.
1. Jasmin Ademovic (APSU) def. Pedro Wagner (JSU), 5-7, 7-6, 6-4
2. Dimitar Ristovski (APSU) def. Jaryd Reese (JSU), 7-6, 6-3
3. Aleksas Tverijonas (APSU) def. Dylan Gee (JSU), 7-6, 6-4
4. Jefferson Wendler-Filho (JSU) def. Iago Seffrin (APSU), 6-2, 6-2
5. Mathias Chaim (JSU) def. James Mitchell (APSU), 6-3, 6-4
6. Manuel Montenegro (APSU) def. Felipe Wenzel (JSU), 6-3, 2-6, 10-4
1. Ademovic/Tverijonas (APSU) def. Reese/Wendler-Filho (JSU), 8-7
2. Seffrin/Ristovski (APSU) def. Wagner/Diaz (JSU), 8-6
3. Gee/Chaim (JSU) def. Mitchell/Montenegro (APSU), 8-6