Clarksville, TN – Junior first baseman Craig Massoni, of the Austin Peay State University baseball team, has been named the Copies in a Flash APSU Athlete of the Week.
The Danville, CA, native hit .385 in three games last week, adding a home run and seven RBI. Much of Massoni’s damage came in his monstrous 3-for-4, six-RBI outing against Southern Illinois, Tuesday. Each of his hits drove in two Governor runs in an 11-8 victory.
Massoni’s day was the first six-RBI performance by a Gov since Greg Bachman’s six-RBI outing against Murray State last season – one of two Bachman provided last year’s Govs offense. It was Massoni’s first three-hit day as a Gov.
For his efforts, Massoni was named Ohio Valley Conference Player of the Week, Monday.
The Copies in a Flash APSU Athlete of the Week is selected by the APSU Sports Information staff each Tuesday during the academic year. Copies in a Flash, of Clarksville, sponsors the award.
Other notable performances by Austin Peay athletes included:
- Freshman guard Tiasha Gray, of the women’s basketball team, netted a career-high 22 points and added six rebounds, four steals and four assists in last Wednesday’s overtime loss to Belmont. She averaged 18.5 points, 7.0 rebounds and 4.5 assists in two games last week, earning her second OVC Freshman of the Week honor in the season’s final three weeks.
- Freshman outfielder Marissa Lake, of the softball team, batted .750 (6-for-8) with three runs scored and three knocked in from the leadoff spot in the Lady Govs doubleheader sweep against Alabama A&M, Wednesday.
- Sophomore Dimitar Ristovski, of the men’s tennis team, handily dispatched Lindsey Wilson College’s Marlon Dal Pont, 6-3, 6-0, in No. 3 singles, Sunday. He also teamed with Evan Borowski to defeat Dal Pont and Sam Rogerson, 8-4, in No. 3 doubles.
- Freshman Chris Horton, of the men’s basketball team, earned his season’s ninth OVC Freshman of the Week honor after recording his season’s 100th blocked shot – becoming the fourth player in league history to do so. He averaged 11 points and 5.5 rebounds in two contests last week. Tuesday, Horton was named OVC Freshman of the Year.
- Senior Chantelle Grey, of the track and field team, placed 17th in the 800m run at Saturday’s Alex Wilson Invitational with a 2:08.12 mark – her season’s second-fastest. She competed against 18 of the nation’s top 50 800m runners in the field.