Austin Peay State University
Clarksville, TN – For the past three months, 18 students from the Austin Peay State University Department of Theatre and Dance have been busy gaining valuable work experience through a variety of internships and summer study opportunities across the country.
This year’s students span rising sophomores to seniors and represent all four concentrations offered through the department.
“Historically there have always been students who pursued summer theatre work, but this year was very successful due to a variety of factors,” Margaret Rennerfeldt, chair for the APSU Department of Theatre and Dance, said. “Most importantly students pursuing degrees in theater and dance are required to enroll in a course that teaches career development skills specific for our field.”
The course, THEA 4520: Careers, covers topics such as writing performer resumes, choosing appropriate headshots, self-marketing techniques, audition techniques and interviewing skills.
Students also are required to design and maintain a personal website, which is the industry standard for reaching casting directors and hiring managers.
“Teaching these skills helps students and parents to better understand how the professional world of theater and dance operates and helps to dispel the myth that earning a degree in the fine and performing arts means that you will starve,” Rennerfeldt said.
The APSU Students are:
- Joy Baxendell — Hangar Theatre, New York.
- Bret Carson — Radical Arts, Woven Theatre, Tennessee.
- Hannah Clark — Dollywood’s Little Engine Playhouse, Tennessee.
- Zac Collum — Shenandoah Summer Music Theatre, Virginia.
- Briana Finley — Encore Theatre Company.
- Briana Garcia — Interlochen Center for the Arts, Michigan.
- Brenna Greene — Hersheypark, Pennsylvania.
- Alexandria Heide — Blue Lake Fine Arts Camp, Michigan.
- Treston Henderson — Central Piedmont Summer Theatre, North Carolina.
- Shane Kopischke — Street Theatre, Tennessee.
- Katie Krantz — The Little Theatre on the Square, Illinois.
- Briar Moroschak — Roxy Regional Theatre, Tennessee.
- Patrick Pride — Capitol Theatre, Tennessee.
- Lauren Proctor — Roxy Regional Theatre, Tennessee.
- Lexi Putter — Roxy Regional Theatre, Tennessee.
- Logan Reed — Bishop Gunn music video.
- Megan Shields — Millennium Dance Complex, Tennessee.
- Christian Waggoner — “Nashville” television series, ESPN intro, Carrie Underwood music video.
Program entrance and scholarship auditions for talented high school seniors and transfer students will be held November 3rd, February 23rd and March 16th on the Austin Peay State University campus.
To learn more about the department and to schedule an audition, visit www.apsu.edu/theatre-dance.