Clarksville, TN – If you’re anything like me, you have good days and bad days. There are times when the world seems to be full of hearts, rainbows and frolicking unicorns. But then there is the rest of the time.
Days when the News in heartbreaking, when the world seems against you, when everything that can go wrong does, and it seems that the world as you know it is going you-know-where in a hand basket. Sometimes it can very discouraging for me as a woman, a Christian, a mom, a business owner and a friend.
Over the years, this has been hard to deal with without becoming negative.
It is, however, beginning to get a bit easier to feel like there is hope and that I can make a difference.
Here are 5 things that are helping me:
1. Adjusted expectations–Friends, family, co-workers, spouses…they will disappoint you. Sometimes they are giving all they have available to give you. But even bigger (in ways) are the other 6 billion people in the world that do things you would never do, or would do differently. We can’t choose other people’s values. And honestly, you can’t even dream of having influence over someone if you are angry with their character. They will know it, and they will run from you!
2. Prayer–The local and national news can be horrible. Senseless crimes and innocent victims abound. It’s easy to get angry sometimes! I like to pray for 3 things: First for the families, children & friends of the victims. Secondly I pray for the person who committed the crime. Lastly, I ask for guidance on how to help further if I can.
3. Guard your mind–Our lives can be self-fulfilling prophecies. If we expect to a victim of circumstances, we will. If we expect love, we will begin to receive it. If we forgive easily, we will receive forgiveness and grace in kind. Our lives, and the joy in it, begin in our thoughts.
If you made a pie chart of your top 5 most frequent thoughts, what would it look like? Would it please God?
4. Forgiveness–Sometimes we get mad at others and ask ourselves questions like, “How can she parent like that?”or “How can he look at himself in the mirror?”or “Do they not see how greedy they are?” Forgive others for making mistakes, for being different than you, or for hurting you. Life is too short to stay angry, and way too long to throw away joy!
5. Change “they” to “I”–This can be HUGE! It has been for me. Instead of saying, he, she, they or them and could, should, outta and shouldn’t, try something new. Say one of the following:
- …grant me tolerance
- …let me lead with love
- …help me forgive
- …guide me in serving them
- …help me to be more like Your Son.
Are you dreaming of a better world? I know I am! Don’t underestimate your contribution to it!