Ford Acts Promptly for Customer Safety in making this Recall
Dearborn, MI -Ford Motor Company has announced a voluntary safety recall of 2013 Ford Escape SE and SEL models equipped with the 1.6-liter engine and 2013 Ford Fusion SE and SEL models equipped with the 1.6-liter engine.
Customers driving 2013 Escape vehicles equipped with the 1.6-liter engine and 2013 Fusion models equipped with the 1.6-liter engine are advised to contact their dealer as soon as possible to arrange for alternative transportation at no charge.
Repair procedures are not currently available.
- Ford Motor Company is acting on behalf of its customers by conducting a voluntary safety recall of 2013 SE and SEL model Ford Escape vehicles equipped with the 1.6-liter engine and 2013 SE and SEL model Fusions equipped with the 1.6-liter engine
- The recall comes after reports of engines overheating, followed by vehicle fires starting in the engine compartment when the engine is running; no injuries have been reported
- Ford is advising owners of these vehicles to contact their dealer immediately for alternative transportation at no cost to the customer; U.S. owners also may call 866-436-7332 and Canadian customers also may call 888-222-7814 for details on securing alternative transportation
- Repair procedures are not currently available
- Customers can determine whether their vehicle is part of the recall by:
- Checking their 17-digit Vehicle Identification Number (VIN); the eighth character will be an “X” on Escapes or an “R” on Fusions,
- Logging onto Ford.com, select the “Support” tab, click “View Notices and Recalls” and input their VIN, or
- Calling the numbers listed above or contact their dealer
- Escapes equipped with the 2.0-liter and the 2.5-liter engines are unaffected as are Fusions equipped with the 2.5-liter and hybrid engines
Ford is voluntarily recalling these vehicles because of reports of engine overheating, resulting in engine fires while the engine is running. No injuries have been reported.
Drivers who see any of these indications should safely pull off the road as soon as possible, turn off the engine and exit the vehicle. Ford will compensate owners for costs tied to overheating as well.
“We have identified an issue and are taking actions in the best interest of our customers,” said Steve Kenner, director of Ford’s Automotive Safety Office. “It is important that affected customers not ignore this recall and contact their dealer as soon as possible. While we recognize the inconvenience recalls cause our customers, we are taking these actions on their behalf to help ensure their safety.”
Ford is working on a repair procedure. When parts are available, the company will notify customers so they can schedule a service appointment with dealers.
Meanwhile, Ford is advising affected owners to contact a Ford dealer as soon as possible for alternative transportation at no cost to the customer; U.S. owners also may call 866.436.7332 and Canadian customers also may call 888.222.7814 for details on securing alternative transportation.
Customers can see if they are affected by the recall by
- Checking their 17-digit VIN, located on a label on the driver door opening, at the base of the windshield on the driver’s side of their vehicle, or on their vehicle registration. In vehicles with 1.6-liter engines, the eighth character will be “X” on Escapes or “R” on Fusions;
- Logging onto www.Ford.com, click “View Notices and Recalls” in the “Support” tab and input their VIN to determine if their vehicle is part of the recall;
- Calling 866.436.7332 in the U.S. or 888.222.7814 in Canada; or
- Contacting a Ford dealer
Escapes equipped with 2.0-liter and the 2.5-liter engines are unaffected. Fusions equipped with the 2.5-liter and hybrid engines are also unaffected – as are all Titanium models.
About Ford Motor Company
Ford Motor Company a global automotive industry leader based in Dearborn, MI, manufactures or distributes automobiles across six continents. With about 172,000 employees and 65 plants worldwide, the company’s automotive brands include Ford and Lincoln. The company provides financial services through Ford Motor Credit Company.
For more information regarding Ford and its products worldwide, please visit http://corporate.ford.com.