City of Clarksville
Clarksville, TN – Clarksville Mayor Joe Pitts has outlined the process the City will use to recruit a successor to Clarksville Fire Rescue Chief Michael Roberts, who announced in January that he will retire July 31st, 2019 after 20 years in the position.
“This will be the first department head search for my administration,” Mayor Pitts said. “Without a doubt, this will be an important hire, and one we will not take lightly.”
The mayor and the Human Resources Department have prepared a four-page job posting that describes the position, and gives relevant information about the department and Clarksville.
The job will be formally posted on Friday, March 1st.
A nine-member search committee has been formed to evaluate applicants. Chief of Staff James Halford will chair the committee, which includes Human Resources Director Will Wyatt.
Other committee members are:
- Councilman Jeff Henley, chairman of the council’s Public Safety Committee.
- Gary West, recently retired Deputy Fire Marshall for the State of Tennessee.
- Joel Wallace, a local attorney and former member of the Clarksville City Council.
- Lisa Prichard, a Montgomery County Commissioner and a former Montgomery County Sheriff’s Deputy.
- Belinda Martinez, a local entrepreneur.
- Bishop Calvin B. Lockett, pastor of Christ the Healer Church, Clarksville.
- David Kirkland, a 30-year veteran of Clarksville Fire Rescue.
Human Resources will field applications, from which the committee will identify top candidates for interviews, and a short list of the top candidates will be submitted to Mayor Pitts for evaluation and a final interview. The mayor will present a finalist to the City Council for its consideration and a confirmation vote.
“I will spend time with the top candidates, invite them to interact with our department personnel, and showcase the strengths and opportunities within the department,” Mayor Pitts said. “We have much to be proud of in our City and at Clarksville Fire Rescue, so I want to make sure we find the best possible person for this opportunity.”