Evansville, IN – The Austin Peay State University (APSU) men’s tennis team had its season come to an end in the first round of the Ohio Valley Conference Men’s Tennis Championship, as the Governors dropped a 4-2 decision against Eastern Illinois, Friday, at the Wesselman Tennis Center.
The Governors grabbed the early doubles advantage with senior Oliver Andersson and freshman Hogan Stoker’s 6-4 victory on the No. 3 court. The win was the duo’s fifth of the season, while Andersson finishes his collegiate career with 13 doubles victories.
A First Team All-OVC selection, Schlossmann earned his sixth win from of the spring after defeating EIU’s Leighton Brandon, 6-2, 6-2, on the No. 1 court to even the match at one.
Eastern Illinois regained the advantage after defeating Andersson on the No. 2 position, before besting Stoker, 6-2, 6-1 on court six.
Bolton earned the first postseason victory of young career, defeating EIU’s Charles Courteau, 6-3, 6-4 to cut the Govs’ deficit back to one.
Needing both matches, Damberg fell in a pair of narrow sets from the No. 3 court, while Becchis’ match went unfinished after splitting his first two sets.
With the loss, the APSU Govs season comes to an end, in addition to the collegiate careers of its two seniors in Damberg and Andersson. Both have been consistent members for APSU, having combined for 89 victories in their careers for the red and white.
Austin Peay head coach, Ross Brown
On the seniors… “They are great guys, but they are even better people. One of the things with Oliver before is that he always makes a great effort and that really sums him up. He is always giving his best physically and mentally out there. Anton is the same way. He is such a positive guy to be around. The good thing is for some of our lower classmen, they have seen how these two have handled themselves and how they handle responsibility. I honestly hope our underclassmen can grow and be the same sort of men our two seniors have become.
Results vs. Eastern Illinois
- Christos Kyrillou / Thomas Wallace (EIU) def. Frederic Schlossmann / Anton Damberg (APSU), 6-4
- Cameron Slabbert / Charles Courteau (EIU) def. Tom Bolton / Giovanni Becchis (APSU), 6-4
- Oliver Andersson / Hogan Stoker (APSU) def. Tyler Carlin / Leighton Brandon (EIU), 6-4
Order of Finish: 3, 1, 2*
- Frederic Schlossmann (APSU) def. Leighton Brandon (EIU), 6-2, 6-2
- Christon Kyrillou (EIU) def. Oliver Andersson (APSU), 6-0, 6-0
- Cameron Slabbert (EIU) def. Anton Damberg (APSU), 6-4, 7-5
- Tom Bolton (APSU) def Charles Courteau (EIU), 6-3, 6-4
- Giovanni Becchis (APSU) vs. Tyler Carlin (EIU), Unfinished at 6-4, 3-6, 0-0
- Pau Riera (EIU) def. Hogan Stoker (APSU), 6-2, 6-1
Order of Finish: 1, 2, 6, 4, 3*