Clarksville, TN – The Austin Peay State University (APSU) women’s tennis team earned its third-straight win of the season in a 5-2 victory against Illinois State, Saturday, at the Governors Tennis Courts.
Austin Peay State University (6-3) earned its eighth doubles point of the season after claiming wins from its top duos.
Denise Torrealba and Sophia Baranov gave the APSU Govs the early doubles advantage with their third win together in as many opportunities. In their 6-3 win against ISU’s Silvia Pomarolli and Alexandra Abysaova, the duo has combined to outscore their last three opponents, 18-4.
Jana Leder and Melody Hefti claimed the Govs’ first point after winning, 6-4, for their seventh victory in the last eight matches.
With doubles already decided, Asia Fontana and Yu-Hua Cheng dropped a 7-5 decision from the No. 3 position.
Leder put the APSU Govs up 2-0 following her straight-set victory from the No. 1 position, while Torrealba put APSU one point away from the win following her 6-1, 6-0 win from the No. 2 singles court.
Back-to-back win by the Redbirds from the No. 5 and No. 6 positions made it a 3-2 game before Hefti clinched the win with her sixth singles victory of the season. With the result already decided, Baranov came back from dropping her first set to defeat ISU’s Tara Damnjanovic, 10-6, in the 10-point tiebreaker.
Results vs. Illinois State
1. LEDER, Jana/HEFTI, Melody (APSU) def. ZLATANOVIC, Tijana/DAMNJANOVIC, Tara (ISU) 6-4
2. TORREALBA, Denise/BARANOV, Sophia (APSU) def. ABYSAOVA, Alexandra/POMAROLLI, Silvia (ISU) 6-3
3. KOLAREVIC, Nevena/JANKULOVSKA, Elena (ISU) def. FONTANA, Asia/CHENG, Yu-Hua (APSU) 7-5
Order of finish: 2, 1*, 3
1. LEDER, Jana (APSU) def. ZLATANOVIC, Tijana (ISU) 6-1, 6-3
2. TORREALBA, Denise (APSU) def. KOLAREVIC, Nevena (ISU) 6-1, 6-0
3. HEFTI, Melody (APSU) def. ABYSAOVA, Alexandra (ISU) 6-3, 7-5
4. BARANOV, Sophia (APSU) def. DAMNJANOVIC, Tara (ISU) 6-7 (5-7), 6-2, 10-6
5. POMAROLLI, Silvia (ISU) def. FONTANA, Asia (APSU) 6-1, 6-4
6. JANKULOVSKA, Elena (ISU) def. KUJAWA, Ayden (APSU) 7-5, 6-1
Order of finish: 1, 2, 6, 5, 3*, 4