This is an article from the beginning of last school year. My strategy hasn’t changed. This is still my Number 1 Ninja-Mom move, today, and everyday…
Clarksville, TN – Every year, when my boys start school I want them to have a great year. I tell them to “be good, pay attention, do your best…”
This year, I am trying something new. I am starting the year with prayer. Instead of waiting for something to go wrong, and praying for a fix or a way out, we are giving it to God in advance.
Here are some of the things we prayed about with our boys, and will continue to pray for often.
- Good friendships–to choose friends carefully and be a loyal friend.
- Kindness–to be kind to everyone, even the kids who can be hard to like (aren’t we all?)
- Respectfulness–to honor their teachers, lunch ladies, custodians, bus drivers,everyone.
- Good Use of Talents–God has gifted my boys very differently. I have challenged them to honor God with their gifts.
- Maximize the Positive–They aren’t great in every subject, but with a full commitment to doing their best, they will have no regrets.
- Positive Influence–To always represent themselves as Christians to everyone they come in contact with, and eventually share their faith.
When I prayed with Jackson the night before school started, I cried all over his t-shirt, and felt like a slobbering basket case. But the praying felt so right!
Last night at bedtime he said, “Come on mom, I’m going into the 6th grade, cry on me again.” I said, “What? I thought that might have freaked you out.” He said, “No, your tears were warm.” – I know this is a weird illustration, but my point is, there is no wrong way to pray with your children. They will feel so loved and cherished!
What else are you praying for with your kiddos?