Golden Pond, KY – Camping and Lake Access opportunities are returning as flood waters recede at Land Between The Lakes (LBL) National Recreation Area. Lake levels for Lake Barkley and Kentucky Lake are currently at 366.4 feet and dropping.
The majority of campsites are open at Energy Lake Campground; all sites will open by May 20th. Hillman Ferry Campground expects to open reservations sites on May 20th, and have all seasonal sites open by May 28th; walk-in sites may not be available until after May 28th. Piney Campground expects to open to seasonal campers May 19th, and have reservation sites open by May 20th. On May 20th, visitors may begin making camping reservations for Hillman Ferry and Piney Campgrounds by visiting www.lbl.org or calling 1-800-525-7077.
Friday, May 13th, Wranglers Campground will have limited camping available and the Riding Stables will open. Due to storm damage and downed trees, camping space is limited. Camping will be first-come, first-served; call 270-924-2001 for availability. Wranglers will begin taking camping reservations by phone and on-line beginning May 17th. A significant portion of trails are open at Wranglers, and day-use riding is currently available.
These additional LBL boat ramps, campgrounds, and lakeside campsites, trails, and day-use areas are currently open:
- Center Furnace Trail
- Cravens Bay Boat Ramp
- Devil’s Elbow Boat Ramp; use caution
- Fenton Boat Ramp; open by 4:30pm Friday, May 13th
- Fenton Campground; sites 17-27 open
- Fort Henry Trails System; except Pickett Loop
- Gatlin Point Campground
- Ginger Bay Backcountry Area
- Hematite Trail; via Center Furnace Trail
- Neville Bay Backcountry Area
- Nickell Branch Backcountry Area; use boat ramp with caution
- North/South Trail; southern portion only
- Pisgah Point Backcountry Area
- Redd Hollow Backcountry Area
- Shaw Branch Backcountry Area; very limited parking
- Star Camp–temporarily open to camping (Backcountry Camping Permit Required)
- Sugar Bay Backcountry Area
- Taylor Bay Backcountry Area
- Twin Lakes Backcountry Area; use boat ramp with caution
Open LBL day-use facilities include North Welcome Station, Nature Station via Silver Trail Road, Elk & Bison Prairie, Golden Pond Visitor Center and Planetarium, Golden Pond Target Range, The Homeplace, South Bison Range, and South Welcome Station. Activities such as picnicking and hiking will be available in limited areas.
Due to flooded roads, access may temporarily be restricted to cemeteries. Turkey Bay Off-Highway Vehicle Area is closed due to saturated soil conditions and current flooding.
Some areas remain barricaded and closed for visitor safety. Observe all closures for your safety. Citations will be issued to anyone found beyond barricaded areas. Please check the Alerts & Notices page at www.lbl.org for current information, open/closed lists, and details before coming to LBL.