Austin Peay State University Sports InformationThe Governors (1-5) were competitive in doubles, but ultimately lost two close matches at No. 2 and No. 3 doubles. Almantas Ozelis and Anton Damberg were up 6-5 at No. 1 doubles, but the match went unfinished after the Jaguars (5-3) claimed the doubles point.
Singles play started off competitively as well, with each team taking the first set in two matches. Unfortunately, after claiming the first sets at No. 2 and No. 4 singles, the Jaguars went on to win those matches in straight sets to go up 3-0 overall.
Damberg easily defeated his opponent in straight sets, 6-0, 6-4, to put the Govs on the board, but Ozelis was forced into a third and final set. Meanwhile, play had started at No. 5 and No. 6 singles, with Hunter Sanders taking the first set at the No. 6 position. Despite a one-set lead for Sanders and Ozelis leading the third set early, the Jaguars got a clutch win at No. 5 singles and claimed the match, 4-1.
Sanders and Ozelis did win their matches though, as both Sanders and Ozelis have won two matches in a row. Damberg has also won his last two singles matches, both in straight sets, while Sanders won a superset to eight games to go along with his straight-set win today and Ozelis has grinded out two three-set wins.
The Govs have over a week off before their next match, hosting Carson-Newman next Saturday.
Results: IUPUI 4, Austin Peay 3
1. Almantas Ozelis/Anton Damberg (APSU) vs. Alex Jochim/Colton Morehart (IUPUI) 6-5, unfinished
2. Bradley Luetschwager/Kyle Whittaker (IUPUI) def. Timo Kiesslich/Jacob Lorino (APSU) 6-4
3. Sean Bailey/Grant Weaver (IUPUI) def. Chad Woodham/Hunter Sanders (APSU) 7-5
1. Almantas Ozelis (APSU) def. Alex Jochim (IUPUI) 7-5, 5-7, 6-4
2. Sean Bailey (IUPUI) def. Timo Kiesslich (APSU) 6-3, 6-0
3. Anton Damberg (APSU) def. Colton Morehart (IUPUI) 6-0, 6-4
4. Bradley Luetschwager (IUPUI) def. Jacob Lorino (APSU) 6-1, 6-1
5. Eric Hollingsworth (IUPUI) def. Chad Woodham (APSU) 6-1, 6-4
6. Hunter Sanders (APSU) def. Grant Weaver (IUPUI) 6-3, 6-3
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3); Singles (4,2,3,5,6,1)