Philadelphia, PA – Aramark, the largest U.S.-based food services provider, and the American Heart Association, the leading voluntary health organization devoted to a world of longer, healthier lives, are kicking summer grilling into high gear by sharing a list of heart-healthy recipes and inspiring people to give new plant-forward menus a try this summer.
Fresh produce is taking center stage at summer BBQs and stealing some of the limelight from traditional cookout staples, like burgers and hot dogs. Going plant-forward, emphasizing vegetables, fruits, whole grains and legumes, but still offering a proportionately small quantity of animal protein, is an easy way to incorporate color and optimize nutrition in summer dishes.
Motivated by its mission to enrich and nourish lives and its Healthy for Life 20 By 20 collaboration with the Association to improve the health of all Americans, Aramark launched a major plant-forward initiative to boost nutrition across its menus in colleges and universities, hospital cafés and workplace locations.
The initiative has resulted in a 15% average reduction in calories, saturated fat and sodium, and 9% increase in fruits, vegetables and whole grains across those dining location menus, where 30% of the main dishes are vegan or vegetarian.
Aramark tapped into its network of more than 1,000 chefs, and the American Heart Association leveraged its national network of volunteer health and science experts, to compile a menu full of healthier twists on classic summer favorites. Taking a bite out of summer couldn’t be easier with a wholesome meal packed with fruits and vegetables everyone can enjoy.
- Grilled salmon & panzanella salad: Full of heart-healthy omega-3 fatty acids, toss this salmon salad together in minutes—it’s especially delicious served right off the grill.
- Grilled vegetable pizza: A crispy crust with a handful of summer veggies takes this family favorite to a new level. Don’t be afraid to get creative! Grill carrots, eggplant or any other fresh vegetables that will hold up to a grill’s heat.
- Spicy shrimp and pineapple skewers: Ready in 15 minutes, this sweet and spicy meal was made for weeknights.
- Vietnamese-style lettuce wraps with grilled shrimp, avocados and mango: Piled onto a platter, this impressive dish will wow your family. For a weeknight meal, serve with fresh avocado and mango, or grill them to enhance the sweetness of the mango and make the avocado even silkier. (Recipe courtesy of the American Heart Association).
- Beet slaw: Green apple and honey add a slight sweetness to this colorful beet slaw.
- Fresh berry salad: Toss strawberries, blueberries, feta, kale and onion in a tangy lemon dressing.
- Grilled corn with smokehouse maple chipotle butter: Chipotle chili pepper adds smoky heat and maple syrup adds sweetness to a delicious seasoned butter for grilled corn on the cob.
- Beet ketchup: Taken from Aramark’s The Twisted Beet menu, this smooth ketchup is made with beets, cider vinegar and seasoning.
- Yogurt herb ranch dressing: Made with vegan Greek yogurt, this dressing is a perfect addition to any veggie tray at parties or large gatherings.
- Blackberry cobbler: This traditional American dessert recipe is great for summertime family reunions and features seasonal, nutrient-dense blackberries (Recipe courtesy of the American Heart Association).
- Grilled fruit tart with spiced honey drizzle: Grilled Indian naan flatbread serves as the “crust” for fresh fruit tarts. Top with creamy yogurt sauce, grilled seasonal fruit, like peaches, garam masala-spiced honey drizzle and pistachios for an amazing summer dessert.
About the American Heart Association
The American Heart Association is a relentless force for a world of longer, healthier lives. We are dedicated to ensuring equitable health in all communities. Through collaboration with numerous organizations, and powered by millions of volunteers, we fund innovative research, advocate for the public’s health and share lifesaving resources. The Dallas-based organization has been a leading source of health information for nearly a century.
Aramark (NYSE: ARMK) proudly serves Fortune 500 companies, world champion sports teams, state-of-the-art healthcare providers, the world’s leading educational institutions, iconic destinations and cultural attractions, and numerous municipalities in 19 countries around the world.
Our 270,000 team members deliver experiences that enrich and nourish millions of lives every day through innovative services in food, facilities management and uniforms. We work to put our sustainability goals into action by focusing on initiatives that engage our employees, empower healthy living, preserve our planet and build local communities.
Aramark is recognized as one of the World’s Most Admired Companies by FORTUNE, as well as an employer of choice by the Human Rights Campaign and DiversityInc. Learn more at www.aramark.com or connect with us on Facebook and Twitter.
About Healthy for Life® 20 By 20
In 2015 the American Heart Association, the leading voluntary health organization devoted to a world of longer, healthier lives, and Aramark, the largest U.S. based food service company established a multi-year collaboration called Healthy for Life® 20 By 20 to improve the health of all Americans through better nutrition and lifestyle habits.
For more information on Healthy for Life® 20 By 20, visit: heart.org/healthyforlife.