The following information is a schedule of classes:
All programs are scheduled in the Music/Mass Communication Building.
- Individual Music Instruction: Students receive one-on-one instruction for 30 minutes each week. Lessons are available on cello, flute, guitar, percussion, piano, trumpet, violin or voice. Lessons are scheduled weekday afternoons and evenings, six lessons in the summer session. Ages 4 and older for violin lessons; 7 and older for guitar, piano and other instruments; and 13 and older for voice. Adults are welcome as beginners or continuing students in all areas. Fee: $120 for the six-week summer session.
- Class Voice: Desiree Dolan, instructor. Group instruction for ages 15 and older in the techniques used to develop and improve the singing voice. Class will meet once per week for one hour, 6-7 p.m., Tuesdays. Fee: $70.
- Drum Circle: Carlos Johnson, director. A great opportunity for students and adults, with or without experience, to participate in a performing group made up of percussion instruments. Rehearsals will include music for hand drums as well as pieces performed on household items (pots and pans, brooms, etc.). Class will meet once per week for one hour, 7-8 p.m., Tuesdays. Fee: $70.
- APSU Piano Week: Piano Week is an opportunity to enjoy piano lessons, master classes and supervised practice with APSU professors. Improve your ensemble and sight-reading skills, spend time with other high school pianists and prepare a piece for recital. This week of intensive study is designed to inspire students to pursue their pianistic studies beyond high school. Younger applicants also may be considered with teacher recommendation. The week is from 9 a.m.-3 p.m., June 15-19. Fee: $100 plus $25 registration fee. Contact the CSA or Dr. Anne Glass at or (931) 221-7635 for information.
All programs scheduled in the Trahern Building.
- Individual Art Instruction: Students receive one-on-one instruction for 30 minutes each week. Lessons are scheduled weekday afternoons and evenings, six lessons in the summer session. Fee: $120 for the six-week summer session.
- Ceramics – ages 15 and older: Melody Shipley, instructor. A beginner’s level course that covers the introduction to both hand-built vessels and the beginning use of the potter’s wheel. Students begin with hand building, which affords familiarity with the material and techniques, then move to wheel throwing. Class meets from 6-8 p.m., Thursdays. Fee: $120 plus $20 materials.
- Introduction to Digital Photography – ages 15 and older: Lois Jones, instructor. Instruction in use and functions of students’ digital cameras, and how to edit, print and scan photographs. Class meets from 6-8 p.m., Tuesdays. Fee: $135.
- Painting With Watercolors – ages 8-14: Morgan Conwell, instructor. Classes to gain familiarity with drawing and watercolor techniques. Class meets from 2-3 p.m., Mondays. Fee: $80.
- Beginning Pottery – ages 8-14: Morgan Conwell, instructor. Introduction to clay and hand building before progressing to the potter’s wheel. Class meets from 2-3 p.m., Thursdays. Fee: $80.
To register or receive more information, call the Community School of the Arts, (931) 221-7508, e-mail at , or visit http://www.csa.apsu.edu