Austin Peay Sports Information
Clarksville, TN – Eleven Austin Peay State University’s athletic teams maintained their progress or showed improvement in the latest release of the NCAA’s Academic Progress Rates (APR), Wednesday.
Women’s golf and volleyball were among those 11 teams to show improvement or maintain their APR from last season. Women’s golf posted a perfect 1000 for the third consecutive season. Volleyball’s 1000 mark was a five-point upswing from the previous season. Both of those teams received the NCAA APR Public Recognition Award last week.The Austin Peay men’s golf team showed the greatest improvement, jumping 29 points to a 987. The Governors basketball team also posted a 21-point increase, with a 962 mark. Baseball (+17), men’s cross country (+4), men’s tennis (+19) and softball (+11) rounded out the eight teams to move their number forward. Women’s indoor track and field, women’s outdoor track and field and women’s soccer posted a repeat of the last report’s number.
“I want to congratulate all of our student-athletes, coaches and our academic support staff for their outstanding work,” said interim athletics director Cheryl Holt. “Our annual improvement in the NCAA’s Academic Progress Rate is due to all of their hard work and their commitment to excelling in the classroom.”
In addition to the notable year-to-year improvements, seven of the department’s 15 teams were rated above their respective APR average in their sport. Women’s basketball, football, women’s golf, women’s soccer, volleyball, men’s basketball and men’s golf each topped their respective average.
Altogether, 13 Austin Peay programs either maintained their APR from year-to-year or were above their respective sport’s average during the current reporting period. Last season, nine APSU teams increased or maintained their APR average.
Similar to a report card, every Division I sports team calculates its APR each academic year. Scholarship student-athletes each semester earn one point for remaining eligible and one point for staying in school or graduating. This report is based on NCAA Division I Academic Progress Rate (APR) data submitted by the institution for the 2010-11, 2011-12, 2012-13 and 2013-14 academic years.
- Austin Peay women’s golf and volleyball teams posted the top marks among Ohio Valley Conference teams in their respective sports.
- The women’s golf team posted a perfect 1000 score for the third consecutive season.
- The volleyball program’s 1000 score was its second since the APR was created in 2004-05.
- The Governors football team (954) was the second highest rated team among OVC football-playing institutions.
- Austin Peay’s men’s basketball (fourth, 962), women’s soccer (fourth, 988), men’s golf (fifth, 987) and women’s basketball (fifth, 979) programs also finished among the top half among OVC teams in their respective sports.
- Seven teams – baseball (966), men’s golf, women’s golf, women’s soccer, women’s indoor track and field (967), women’s outdoor track and field (970) and volleyball – each posted their highest APR mark in program history.