Clarksville, TN – Join hundreds of brave souls from 10:00am-noon on Saturday, February 22nd, 2020 at the Austin Peay State University (APSU) Foy Fitness and Recreation Center pool and support Special Olympics Tennessee athletes by taking a chilly dip.
The Polar Plunge is open to anyone in the community who makes a minimum pledge of $50.00 ($30.00 for students).
Each plunging donor receives the official long-sleeved Plunge T-shirt, lunch and, of course, bragging rights.
For more about the annual Polar Plunge, click here.
APSU Govs baseball takes opening series, continues homestand
After winning the season-opening series against Eastern Michigan, the Austin Peay State University baseball team will host Missouri State at 3:00pm Thursday, February 20th, as part of the SAF Dirt Classic.
The Govs also host Samford at 3:00pm Friday, February 21st; Bradley at 1:00pm Saturday, February 22nd; and Evansville at 1:00pm Sunday, February 23rd. All the games are at Raymond C. Hand Park.
The APSU softball team is will travel to the Georgia Classic February 21st-23rd in Athens, Georgia.
For more information, visit www.letsgopeay.com.
APSU men’s basketball on the road
The men visit SIU Edwardsville at 8:00pm Thursday, February 20th, and Eastern Illinois at 3:15pm Saturday, February 22nd. The women visit SIUE at 11:00am Thursday, February 20th, and Eastern Illinois at 1:00pm Saturday, February 22nd.
For more, go to www.letsgopeay.com.
Get your taxes done for free
Austin Peay State University’s College of Business is looking to ease some of that stress by providing free tax preparation through its Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program. The program is open to anyone with an annual income of $56,000 or less, individuals with disabilities or Spanish speakers with limited English skills.
For the last three years, APSU has offered the VITA program as part of a service-learning course that provides an important community service while also giving APSU accounting students practical, real-world experience. The students in Business Professor Jennifer Thayer’s class are all IRS-certified volunteers who spent the winter months preparing for the VITA program.
Appointments can be made by calling 931.221.6590, but walk-ins are welcome. Students will offer tax preparation from 1:00pm-7:00pm Tuesdays and Thursdays, and 10:00am-4:00pm on Saturdays. The VITA program will remain open (except for the week of March 8th-14th, which is spring break) until the final tax-filing day on April 15th.
For more, click here.
Other APSU happenings this week:
- Presidents Day Talk with Dr. Kevin Baron from 3:00pm-4:30pm Monday, February 17th, in Morgan University Center Room 103. For more, click here.
- Aventura Cultural: How to Make Tortillas is 1:30pm-2:30pm Tuesday, February 18th, at the Hispanic Cultural Center in the Morgan University Center. Click here for more.
- Black Girls Rock APSU Edition from 7:00pm-9:30pm Friday, February 21st, at Clement Auditorium. For more, click here.
- Harry Potter-themed escape room from 10:00am-4:00pm Saturday, February 22nd, at the Adult, Nontraditional and Transfer Student Center, Morgan University Center Room 112. Click here for more.
- For more campus events, click here.