Hopkinsville, KY – When Dr. Alissa Young was considering how to more fully involve the community in the life of the college, and how that could be integrated with her inauguration as the sixth president of Hopkinsville Community College (HCC), she envisioned multiple events where local residents could interact with each other and the faculty and staff.
She soon settled on the idea of including a showcase of community talent, stating, “When you hear of something interesting happening in Hopkinsville, I want people to think of HCC.”
The Celebrating Community Talent Showcase, slated to begin at 6:30pm, Wednesday, April 11th, 2018 in the Auditorium Lecture Hall features a little bit of everything.
From traditional Indian dancer Kevli Sheth to the First Baptist Church Adult Sanctuary Choir with soloists Rachel McCubbin and Andrea Gray, and the Infinity Steppers of Hopkinsville High School to spoken word poets Tyquez Rayshaun Douglas and Latonya Cushenberry, the showcase will have something for everyone.
“The response to the call for applications to perform has been amazing,” Young said. “Bluegrass Cheer & Dance will present two of their award-winning routines, the Little Rock Stars of India will perform, the very popular Christian County Public Schools All Staff Choir will sing two of their most requested songs, and much more,” she continued.
Admission to the event is free, but HCC Student Government President and one of the Masters of Ceremony for the evening, Aaron White, suggested that attendees “pay what you can” to help raise money for the college’s Student Emergency Fund. Doors will open at 5:30pm and organizers expect a full house.
Performing for the evening:
- Mercevion Coleman and Aaron White – Step Dancers
- Uncommon Ministries – Praise Dance
- Little Rock Stars of India – Soha Naviwala, Ved Patel, Niyati Patel, Teerth Shah, Akil Patel, Aashna Singh, Kirtan Patel, Rudra Patel, Vedang Patel and Saanvi Shah
- Purpose Blessings – Praise Dance
- Infinity Steppers of Hopkinsville High School
- Bluegrass Cheer & Dance – two award winning routines
- Anissa Whitlock – soloist
- Adult Sanctuary Choir – First Baptist Church Hopkinsville with soloists Rachel McCubbin and Andrea Gray
- Alexandria Smith – soloist
- Racheal Labaj – soloist
- Mari Ramsey – guitar and solo
- Tyquez Rayshaun Douglas – spoken word poet, “I Have a Dream”
- Matthew Harris – soloist
- Bollywood Ladies Dance Group – Vaishali J. Patel, Dhara Shah, Sejal Patel, Vaishali H. Patel, Hema Patel, Brooke Patel, Anjum Nagani, Tanishka Singh
- Latonya Cushenberry – spoken word poet
- Christian County Public Schools All Staff Choir
- Kevli Sheth – traditional Indian dance
- All Nations House of Prayer – Youth Choir and Dance Team
- All Nations House of Prayer Choir