Fort Campbell, Ky – The 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault) and Fort Campbell will celebrate the Week of the Eagles Aug. 14-20.
The theme for this year’s festivities is “Their Strength and Courage Strike the Spark: Honoring our Sergeants,” in recognition of the Army’s Year of the NCO campaign.
Soldiers will compete in various events throughout the week, which are open to the public as spectators:
- Marksmanship Competition at Ranges 10, 13, and 14, Aug. 14, 10 a.m.
- Toughest Air Assault Soldier Competition at the Sabalauski Air Assault School, Aug. 16, 8 a.m.
- Combatives at the Personnel Processing Center (briefings begin at 8 a.m.), Aug. 17-18, 9 a.m.
- Basketball at Freedom Fighters Gym, Softball at the North Sports Complex (between Kentucky and Indiana Aves. at 47th and 49th Streets), Aug. 17-19, 9 a.m.
Everyone is invited to participate in other events:
- Legacy Golf Tournament at Cole Park Golf Club*, Aug. 14, noon
- Salute to the Troops Concert at Division Parade Field, Aug. 14, 6 p.m.
- 10K Run, 5K Fun Run, 1K walk at the Campbell Rail Operations Facility on Market Garden Road*, Aug. 15, 7:30 a.m.
- Air Show and Community Fair & Kids Zone at Campbell Army Airfield, Aug. 15, 10 a.m.
- Salute to the Troops Concert at Division Parade Field, Aug. 15, 6 p.m.
- Vietnam Veterans Welcome Home Ceremony at Hangar 3, Aug. 16, 4 p.m.
- Memorial Ceremony at McAuliffe Hall, Aug. 19, 5 p.m.
- Division Review and Awards Ceremony at the Division Parade Field, Aug. 20, 10 a.m.
*Requires registration and a nominal fee
The Division Run with all units represented and led by the commander is planned for 7 a.m. Aug. 13.
A formal dining out is planned at 6 p.m. Aug. 17 at the Bruce Convention Center in Hopkinsville and is open to Fort Campbell Soldiers and invited guests only.
A Week of the Eagles Welcome Center will be open and staffed for visitors outside of Gate 7, on Gate 7 Road, on the Oak Grove side of Fort Campbell Blvd. There will be various displays from the 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault) units and organizations and Week of the Eagles program guides. The Welcome Center will be open from 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. daily.
Plans for all events continue and updates can be found at the Week of the Eagles Web site, http://www.fortcampbellmwr.com/woe/, and Facebook page, “Week of the Eagles 2009.”
Historically, Week of the Eagles week-long events draw 50,000 visitors, 30,000 concert goers, and 65,000 air show spectators. The bi-annual event is an opportunity for Fort Campbell Veterans, Families, and neighbors to learn about the capabilities, training and efforts of current Screaming Eagles; Soldiers benefit from the esprit de corps of the event and also the opportunity to learn from former Soldiers.
Vietnam Veterans Welcome Home Ceremony
Vietnam Veterans Welcome Home Ceremony is designed to be an official welcome home for Vietnam Veterans who never got the recognition and welcome home that every member of the 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault) receives when they return from the Global War on Terrorism. Veterans will stand in formation and march into the hangar where they will be greeted by Family and friends. All Vietnam Veterans – regardless of unit or branch of service – are welcome to attend and participate in the ceremony.
To participate, Vietnam Veterans should enter Fort Campbell at Gate 7 Aug. 16 and assemble in casual patriotic attire by 2 p.m. at the Freedom Fighter. Buses at the Freedom Fighter Gymnasium will transport everyone to and from Hangar 3. The Vietnam Veterans will be greeted by the new Commanding General, Maj. Gen. John F. Campbell, families, friends and other patriots. After the Hangar 3 ceremony, buses will return everyone to the Freedom Fighter Gymnasium (air-conditioned) and a sit down free barbecue meal for the Vietnam Veteran and one guest.
Those interested in attending must contact the Hopkinsville-Christian County Chamber of Commerce at (270) 885-9096 or email email@example.com by Aug. 9 to confirm how many will attend the ceremony, reserve a meal for yourself and one guest, indicate branch of service, and if there are handicap needs.