February gas prices were the lowest in 12 years
Tampa, FL – Motorists found the cheapest gas prices for the month of February since 2004. The monthly average was $1.77 in Florida, $1.67 in Georgia, $1.54 in Tennessee, and $1.73 nationwide.
February gas prices dip for first time in 10 years. Throughout the month, gas prices declined a total of 5 cents nationwide, 9 cents in Florida, 7 cents in Georgia, and 8 cents in Tennessee.February gas prices now carry a 5-year monthly average of $2.30 nationally, $2.34 in Florida, $2.21 Georgia, and $2.19 in Tennessee.
The highest monthly average for February was in 2013: $3.65 (U.S.), $3.72 (FL), $3.59 (GA), and $3.47 (TN).
“This was the first time in 10 years that gas prices finished the month of February lower than they started,” said Mark Jenkins, spokesman, AAA – The Auto Club Group. “Historically, gas prices have risen 30 to 40 cents during February, but this year was different, due to low oil prices and record high supplies of oil and gasoline.”
Gas Prices Rise in March
- Last year, gas prices in March rose 2 cents nationwide and 9 cents in Florida, but declined 6 cents in Georgia, and 4 cents in Tennessee.
- During the past five years, gas prices in March rose an average of 8 cents nationwide, 9 cents in Florida, 4 cents in Georgia, and 6 cents in Tennessee.
- Since 2000, March gas prices increased an average of 11 cents in Georgia, and 12 cents in Florida, Tennessee, and the U.S.
- The average price of gas for the month of March covering the past five years is $3.40 nationwide, $3.42 in Florida, $3.28 in Georgia, and $3.20 in Tennessee.
- The average gas price in March for all months since 2000 averaged $2.47 nationwide, $2.50 in Florida, $2.36 in Georgia, $2.35 in Tennessee.
“Gas prices rise in March because more Americans are beginning to take spring road trips. This creates increased demand for gasoline at a time when refineries are putting-out less fuel, due to seasonal maintenance. Demand is now beginning to increase, as are prices at the pump. However, prices are unlikely to surge as supplies remain abundant.”
Click here to view current gasoline price averages
AAA updates fuel price averages daily at http://www.fuelgaugereport.aaa.com/. Every day up to 120,000 stations are surveyed based on credit card swipes and direct feeds in cooperation with the Oil Price Information Service (OPIS) and Wright Express for unmatched statistical reliability. All average retail prices in this report are for a gallon of regular, unleaded gasoline.
About The Auto Club Group
The Auto Club Group (ACG) is the second largest AAA club in North America. ACG and its affiliates provide membership, travel, insurance and financial services offerings to over 9 million members across eleven states and two U.S. territories including Florida, Georgia, Iowa, Michigan, Nebraska, North Dakota, Tennessee, Wisconsin, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands; most of Illinois and Minnesota; and a portion of Indiana.
ACG belongs to the national AAA federation with more than 56 million members in the United States and Canada and whose mission includes protecting and advancing freedom of mobility and improving traffic safety.